The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hi everyone can I post chicks for sale here or is it best to go to BST? Thanks!

Post on BST, but since we are Welsummer lovers here, if that's what you're selling you could always post a link to your thread on here. In order to sell on BST you must have a minimum of twenty posts.

Also, your thread will get more attention if you have photos of the chicks and parents, are clear on if you will ship or if it's just local pick up, clear on price, detailed info about the chicks - age, amount, price, the gender or if you are selling as straight run. That kind of thing.

A lot of the appeal of Welsummers is the egg colour so I might be a good idea to have a photo of the eggs they hatched in or what the parents usually lay.

Good luck on finding good homes for your chicks. :)

Last edited:
Hi guys, I just got a Welsummer chick a few weeks ago and was hoping you could help me with a boy/girl question. I bought this chick from Meyer Hatchery as a sexed pullet. I noticed as a day old that it looked a little larger than the other 3 chicks I got at the same time (BO, BA, and BLRW), and have been watching it grow progressively more masculine each day. I think I know the answer, but I thought I'd come to the experts for final confirmation. This is a roo, right? Big pink comb, wattles developing, black breast feathers coming in. Is there any doubt at all left at this point? I can't have a rooster in the city, so I will need to find him a new home if I'm right.

3 weeks:

In case it matters, this is the chick in question at 2 weeks:

And here it is as a day old:

(the one on the right here, obv.)

not the best shot, but I did think he had some pretty good eyeliner at that time

top of the head (the brown chipmunk on the right again, ignore the BLRW, BA, and BO)

A few more day old shots, trying to show the eyeliner

Last edited:
I got 2 roos from my Meyers pullet order of 12. I wasn't aware of their refund policy on that. Too late now but I'll know next time.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the input. I was 99% sure he was a boy, but I wanted to get some expert opinions before I was forced to put him on Craigslist. I'm kind of attached and am tempted to keep him, but it is definitely against the city rules and crowing would draw negative neighborhood attention to the rest of my little flock, so I can't risk it. If anyone near western PA wants a cute little Welsummer roo, let me know....
hmm.png

p.s. I think according the Meyer policy, they only refund if the sexing is less than 90% accurate (which it was in my order, 1/4), but even then they only refund the difference between the male and female price, which in this case would be $1.18--probably not enough to fuss over. I doubt you missed out on enough refund to buy a dozen eggs, gootziecat, if that makes you feel any better. :)

Hello, I have a question for those that know about the Welsummer breed. Last year my husband found to chicks, one male and the other female about 6 to 8 weeks old in some brush behind our home. I thought they were Gamefowl but now I'm wondering if they are actually Welsummer...Please help.

6-8 weeks old shortly after we found them last year.

These were take earlier this year.

Back
Top Bottom