The Welsummer Thread!!!!

This time of year, I don't get many days off, but today the Boss wants to go to the lake and blow stuff up so I get one. Therefore, I've indulged myself in a day of book reading, sunning, margaritas and chicken watching. I've got one welsummer in a mixed flock of six. The australorp laid her egg quietly at 7. Gold Comet, a nice big egg in the box, no fuss at 930. The barred rock, in a flower pot at 11. But oh Lordy the Welsummer! She's been free ranging today and has made at least a dozen trips to and from the nest box. She'll go hang out in the nest box, scratch around, screech like it's the end of the world, hop out of the box, have a snack, (meanwhile, no egg) go run around, repeat. What a melodramatic prima donna, bet she knows she lays the most gorgeous eggs.... Does this sound familiar to anyone?! Sorry, it's just too funny not to share.

Last edited:
does anyone know about the egg color of Welsummers from Sandhill?  and i don't want the standard response of 'it won't be as dark as birds from a breeder'.  has anyone actually seen the eggs from sandhill birds?  or have sandhill birds?

thanks in advance.  :)

Ha ha! This made me laugh. I'm sorry I can't tell you about Sandhil , I just thought your comments were funny. I'm really excited to see what mine lays too. I have one wellie hen and one wellie roo. I've read they sometimes take longer to lay than other breeds though.

have you checked to see if she is egg bound ..one of the signs to watch out for in egg bound hens is when they get up in the nest and back down alot ..shes prolly fine but just a heads up on it ..if she is ,try soaking her bottom in some warm water and try feeling for the egg..

This time of year, I don't get many days off, but today the Boss wants to go to the lake and blow stuff up so I get one. Therefore, I've indulged myself in a day of book reading, sunning, margaritas and chicken watching. I've got one welsummer in a mixed flock of six. The australorp laid her egg quietly at 7. Gold Comet, a nice big egg in the box, no fuss at 930. The barred rock, in a flower pot at 11. But oh Lordy the Welsummer! She's been free ranging today and has made at least a dozen trips to and from the nest box. She'll go hang out in the nest box, scratch around, screech like it's the end of the world, hop out of the box, have a snack, (meanwhile, no egg) go run around, repeat. What a melodramatic prima donna, bet she knows she lays the most gorgeous eggs.... Does this sound familiar to anyone?! Sorry, it's just too funny not to share.
have you checked her to make sure shes not egg bound..a sign of egg bound is getting up and down out of the nest and not laying ..if she is try soaking her bottom in warm water ..sometimes you can her relax them and move the egg down ...

sorry i dont no why it wouldnt let me quote you in the first post ..

Last edited:
have you checked her to make sure shes not egg bound..a sign of egg bound is getting up and down out of the nest and not laying ..if she is try soaking her bottom in warm water ..sometimes you can her relax them and move the egg down ...

sorry i dont no why it wouldnt let me quote you in the first post ..

That's very sweet of you to think of and an excellent point! She's laying regularly and doesn't seem to be having any trouble, she's just weird I think. I keep track of who lays an egg each day, she's been like clockwork so far.

Good looking out! Thank you.

Hi Welsummer folk,

I am looking for these Journals.
Could someone help me to get copies about these Welsummer articles/texts?
Poultry Press Vol. 68-69, 1981, page 46
Poultry Farmer, Vol. 143, 1960, page 59
Modern Poultry Keeping, Vol. 76. 1957, page 10
Modern Poultry Keeping, Vol. 64, 1951, pages 39 & 59
Did you get what you need?

First egg from my wellie, Wilson (I've got a Seahawks-themed flock). Twelfth Hen and Brandon Mebane are already laying, she's the last of the bunch, one day shy of 21 weeks. Great job little one! Just had to share.

I have a Wilson to!!!! Just a little different in gender.

Back
Top Bottom