The Welsummer Thread!!!!

So this broody hatched out 9/10 with #10 potentially still viable. Dad is a Wellie and I put 4 of her own eggs under her (so they r pure) but the other 6 will be crossed. 3 Ameracauna (or maybe more EE) and 3 are SLW (maybe GLW too but I'm not sure she lays--lazy top hen!) Here are some pics.

I would love to know if u all think I can sex them based on eyeliner and head V's or not since some are mixes and I'm not sure which, they all look like chipmunks that I can tell, LOL!!

You should be able to sex the pure breads based on eyeliner. Keep in mind that the wellies will have yellow legs and your Easter eggers will have gray/slate legs. That will help you tell them apart. However the cross breeds with the SLW will probably have yellow legs too. So you'll have to find a different way to tell them apart.

Fiveidahoboys Wellies leg color is dominant over the slate to gray coloring of an EE. I'll get some pics of mine in a bit. The welly cross chicks I have now r HUGE compared to chicks I get from hatcheries. And I really like the cross.

Got my hatchery Wellies into a breeding pen. Also got my SQ standard Blue cochins in their new coop but they r free ranging.

Hope y'all can give me some advice. We noticed tonight that one of our 13 week old Wellie roos is walking as if his hocks are rotating outward giving him a funny bow legged look. The right looks worse than the left. I just finished 5 days of Corid/routine worming and have switched them to rooster booster. He isn't limping. Seems happy. No pain when I checked the jount. Crowing and eating normally. I watched him jump up on the roost board without difficulty. We switched them to gamebird finishing/layer feed recommended by our local MFA and they get treats throughout the day.

What gives and how do we fix it. He is a beautiful bird.

Hello all! I have all together had 3 welsummers. My first (Sunny) we had for less than a year, when the neighbors dog got to her along with 3 others (April 4, 2015) Then we got replacement chicks, and gave them to our broody momma the next day (profile picture). We only got one welsummer. The Tuesday after, she wouldn't eat, or drink, and was falling over. We had already taken her from momma, and were just trying to do whatever we could. We had to go to the vet to pick up something, and we brought her with us. The vet took her, and said he would do whatever he could to help her to no charge for us at all. We never heard back, but we didn't really expect to find out she was alive. On the way home from the vet, we got a new little Welsummer (honey) She is our current welsummer, and by far, one of the most friendly chicks we have. Welsummers are one of my favorite.

Here is Roo (She's a pullet) from the day I first got her. Will have to take an updated pic tomorrow. :) She is now 10 weeks old!
She is fairly skittish and doesn't like to be handled. She was at a farm store in a very small town where they had several old hatchery chicks in one big bin getting prepared for a new shipment. She looked the most unique and when I got home I realized they didn't even sell her breed previously. I wonder how often this mixup happens. Must why she looked so unique from the rest. I am very happy with her though and pleased I ended up with a Welsummer. :)

Back
Top Bottom