The Welsummer Thread!!!!

can anyone tell me if this is a boy or a girl ive been told if the breast has any black in it its a boy
\

the comb and wattles popped out so early I was afraid it was a boy it was bought as a feed store sexed pullet. I got a male delaware out of the pullets at the same time but the wellie confuses me I dont know their feathering growth patterns that well.

Appears to be a cockerel.....it can take a bit for the black feathers to start filling in on the chest.....but that comb/wattle combination is what gives it away at that age.

Here is a comparison of 7 week old birds.....pullet on the left, cockerel on the right. Note the difference in the comb/wattle development.

Last edited:
Appears to be a cockerel.....it can take a bit for the black feathers to start filling in on the chest.....but that comb/wattle combination is what gives it away at that age.

Here is a comparison of 7 week old birds.....pullet on the left, cockerel on the right. Note the difference in the comb/wattle development.

ive heard that hatchery birds can have early comb wattles on either sex though. My bird isnt as bright in the hackles and neck as your boy

I think, as always, that it can depend a lot on the lineage what the level of arousal (aggression) can be towards humans. The level of "vigor" of flock protectiveness is hereditary.

I have a line with a tendency towards "too much vigor" in that, while amazing flock roosters and very protective/solicitous with the hens, they are too protective towards me as well. I am breeding away from this, but it is always disappointing when a gorgeous, typey cock from a productive line decides at 2 years of age that I am the enemy of his flock. I too do not handle my flock roosters too much, as I want them a little less "familiar" with me.....I have not necessarily found that outgoingness as a young bird translates into friendliness in an adult bird.....post-adolescence will revel that.

But a cock bird with that perfect balance of flock guardian/respect for humans, such as what aart describes his to be, is a joy. Hope you have good luck with yours as well.

Thank you so much. I personally feel like how we treat our roosters can have an impact on temperament. I don't disagree that with some it's part of breeding. I actually did alot of research through a rooster rescue where they keep thousands of roosters. They have pages and pages of information about behavior and keeping them as pets. So far it has really worked. I have 2 full grown roosters that are very affectionate. I do believe the other way works as well. It just depends on what you want out of your rooster. We keep them as pets. Other keep them for work to protect their flock. Kind of like a pet dog versus a work dog. I don't think their is any wrong answer. I think just different methods. I also think if a rooster has aggression in its bloodline their probably isn't much you can do about it. I'm really more interested in their personality. I've found different breeds have similar character traits. Right now I have my welsummers housed with jubilee orpingtons and large fowl cochins. The welsummers are curious and friendly. Definitely have become a favorite.. :)

ive heard that hatchery birds can have early comb wattles on either sex though. My bird isnt as bright in the hackles and neck as your boy

I still agree probably a roo. Most no matter what breed that have that much comb and color so young are roosters.. :( I know you said you've been blessed with quite a few this year. It's tough..

Last edited:
Quote: Agree that some folks can raise a 'friendly' cockbird......
........but I think it takes some critical awareness of animal/bird behaviors on the keepers part that most folks do not possess-nor even have a clue,
that is why I always suggest the hands off approach.

Also agree that caychris' bird is a cockerel.

Thank you so much. I personally feel like how we treat our roosters can have an impact on temperament. I don't disagree that with some it's part of breeding. I actually did alot of research through a rooster rescue where they keep thousands of roosters. They have pages and pages of information about behavior and keeping them as pets. So far it has really worked. I have 2 full grown roosters that are very affectionate. I do believe the other way works as well. It just depends on what you want out of your rooster. We keep them as pets. Other keep them for work to protect their flock. Kind of like a pet dog versus a work dog. I don't think their is any wrong answer. I think just different methods. I also think if a rooster has aggression in its bloodline their probably isn't much you can do about it. I'm really more interested in their personality. I've found different breeds have similar character traits. Right now I have my welsummers housed with jubilee orpingtons and large fowl cochins. The welsummers are curious and friendly. Definitely have become a favorite..
smile.png

I still agree probably a roo. Most no matter what breed that have that much comb and color so young are roosters..
sad.png
I know you said you've been blessed with quite a few this year. It's tough..

I think one of the keys of the rooster rescue is there are no females. I find that can make a huge difference in behavior, as having hens to protect is the trigger for many roosters. All my roosters are fine with me as long as there are no girls, but I do pasture raise, so having protective flock roosters is key for me. I actually started out treating my roosters more like pets, and didn't realize the aggression in my one line until they were fully mature and protecting flocks. That is when I realized I needed to start selecting for both protectiveness of hens and tolerance of humans and giving them some distance and respecting them in their role as flock protector. I agree with you on differences in breeds, which is basically just a bigger step up from lines within breeds. My Ameraucana roosters are big babies and never show any aggression, even when fully mature. But one interesting difference is that they also are not great flock protectors.....they tend to help themselves to the food first, not be as watchful, don't alarm call near as often (we have lots of avian predators).......so I have come to the conclusion that there is likely a linkage between vigor as a flock protector and what we would call "aggression" from our human perspective.....and that is the balance that I am working towards with my Wellies. What I am having to back out of a bit is that I was developing a line with good protective roosters and high producing hens (5-6 eggs/week for much of the year) of dark eggs.....but my latest batch of cocks from that have turned up the notch a bit too much in the protective category and that was for birds raised both by myself and several other experienced poultry folks. So I am working on correcting that balance in my birds.

Agree that some folks can raise a 'friendly' cockbird......
........but I think it takes some critical awareness of animal/bird behaviors on the keepers part that most folks do not possess-nor even have a clue,
that is why I always suggest the hands off approach.

Also agree that caychris' bird is a cockerel.

You are 100 percent right. As with any animal know it's natural instincts are very important. Just like with dogs people need to research. It always blows my mind when a new dog owner pics a rottweiler or a city dweller pics a border collie. Neither are bad but they don't do their research and that does more harm then good. It definitely takes more then just petting your rooster everyday and like I said before sometimes their is nothing you can do. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I just left a generalized comment because their is no way I could explain it all without taking over the whole thread lol. People might think I'm obsessed or something lmao.. :p

You are 100 percent right. As with any animal know it's natural instincts are very important. Just like with dogs people need to research. It always blows my mind when a new dog owner pics a rottweiler or a city dweller pics a border collie. Neither are bad but they don't do their research and that does more harm then good. It definitely takes more then just petting your rooster everyday and like I said before sometimes their is nothing you can do. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I just left a generalized comment because their is no way I could explain it all without taking over the whole thread lol. People might think I'm obsessed or something lmao..
tongue.png
I give my boys respect but also demand the same. I will handle them up till the point they put up a fuss about it. Ive learned to recognize when hormones are overriding their rationality (if they have such a thing) Ill put up with a bit of blustering during the spring or if Im bothering his girls too much for his tastes. But down right attacking me no. Because I wet feed them daily he sees my role as a provider of the food and seems to respect me as long as Im doing the jobs he has come to regularly expect.

In addition Im pretty careful about introducing things that can set him off. Some animals are sensitive to colors smells etc that we may not be aware of. I try to make eye contact with him before entering their pen and be sure if Im carrying anything new (like a new dust bath tub or water bath on hot days) that there are no sudden moves or threatening gestures. Breed determines a lot but even within breed there are personalities. Some birds are more cautious and fearful of anything while others are confident and strong willed. Knowing your birds goes a long way to interacting with them. They are all different though there are strong similarities in breeds they are individual birds and sometimes you never know what will set them off. Awareness is key. Not only what you are communicating but what the bird is trying to tell you too. Some are obvious some are more subtle. My main Pita boy does not like being handled but will allow me to stroke or pet him in the evenings after all the hens are in bed. He doesnt mind me paying attention to his girls as long as they allow it. Gets a little antsy when they squat for me. But if Im respectful but firm we get along well. My other CLB boy is just a big softy and lets me stroke and pet him anytime but wont like being picked up however settles right in for the love if I do. Ive had boys of both breeds who get shipped to freezer camp because they cant seem to learn flogging me is a bad idea. I only keep the ones who treat the hens well and do the rooster jobs in the flock but can learn Im boss but wont interfere with his job.

I give my boys respect but also demand the same. I will handle them up till the point they put up a fuss about it. Ive learned to recognize when hormones are overriding their rationality (if they have such a thing)  Ill put up with a bit of blustering during the spring or if Im bothering his girls too much for his tastes. But down right attacking me no. Because I wet feed them daily he sees my role as a provider of the food and seems to respect me as long as Im doing the jobs he has come to regularly expect.

In addition Im pretty careful about introducing things that can set him off.  Some animals are sensitive to colors smells etc that we may not be aware of. I try to make eye contact with him before entering their pen and be sure if Im carrying anything new (like a new dust bath tub or water bath on hot days)  that there are no sudden moves or threatening gestures. Breed determines a lot but even within breed there are personalities. Some birds are more cautious and fearful of anything while others are confident and strong willed. Knowing your birds goes a long way to interacting with them. They are all different though there are strong similarities in breeds they are individual birds and sometimes you never know what will set them off. Awareness is key. Not only what you are communicating but what the bird is trying to tell you too. Some are obvious some are more subtle. My main Pita boy does not like being handled but will allow me to stroke or pet him in the evenings after all the hens are in bed. He doesnt mind me paying attention to his girls as long as they allow it. Gets a little antsy when they squat for me. But if Im respectful but firm we get along well. My other CLB boy is just a big softy and lets me stroke and pet him anytime but wont like being picked up however settles right in for  the love if I do. Ive had boys of both breeds who get shipped to freezer camp because they cant seem to learn flogging me is a bad idea. I only keep the ones who treat the hens well and do the rooster jobs in the flock but can learn Im boss but wont interfere with his job.

Neither of mine have ever shown aggression. They both run to me for treats in the evening and actually do like to be held. They are good boys. My kids play with them all day. Obviously not the norm for a rooster but I'd like to think we had something to do with their disposition. I think roosters are like pit bulls. It's not the breed it's the owner excluding some with bad breeding. :)

Neither of mine have ever shown aggression. They both run to me for treats in the evening and actually do like to be held. They are good boys. My kids play with them all day. Obviously not the norm for a rooster but I'd like to think we had something to do with their disposition. I think roosters are like pit bulls. It's not the breed it's the owner excluding some with bad breeding.
smile.png
I think there is a definite ability to "spoil" them into pets if they will let you. I also find that chickens in general are a monkey see monkey do kind of animal and if someone else is getting more stuff by allowing the pampering then they will too. I can see it in the faces of some of my young chickens the inner struggle between wanting to be friendly enough to get the treats and the instinct to run. I think some breeds are better at the taming thing than others but it all boils down to the individual bird. Love attention and FOOD tend to be the biggest influence.If there are older girls already used to the treatment the younger birds learn from them.

Back
Top Bottom