The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Our girls are chatty but not overly loud. Our boys seem to be pretty mellow not super friendly but do come close for treats! Of course no one really wants to be picked up so it takes a bit to get a hold of one when we do need to pick them up. To date they have done very well with the kids going in and out of the pens too.

welcome-byc.gif
to all the ones who are new, glad you stopped in!

Quote:
I'd love to see pictures of them! So glad you are happy with them! Are they laying yet?

I just hatched a splash (well, my broody did) and I'm so hoping it's a pullet!
fl.gif

No, they're not laying yet, but soon. I named my Splash boy "Columbus"..when I had all the chicks up in the yard he would wonder off into the garden and I would have to go hunt him down! Silly boy!
lol.png

~ Aspen

I have 2. a blk Olive egger, she looks like an Ameraucana, eggs R suppose to be greenish & I have a 5 wk old grey pullet

Where did you get your Olive Egger - and where can I get one???? :)

Quote:
Where did you get your Olive Egger - and where can I get one???? :)

I got my Olive egger from this young lady April , from Clarmont , NH. she's on the NH chciken swap thread & I also got my blue Oliver egger from a young lady kaitlyn also from NH. My Blk should start to lay soon , But I have maran roos. My grey is only 5 / 6 wks

Feike Olive Eggers are usually FBCM Roo X Ameraucana Hens = Olive Eggers

The dad has to have a dark egg gene like Marans, Welsummers, etc and the mom has to be a green/blue egg layer. If you breed them together you will get chicks that lay Olive green eggs.
smile.png

~ Aspen

Quote:
We've got a wellie, and she's part of our first flock. She's 5 weeks now and has been quite a pleasure to have. She seems to be the boss of the flock, so far, and is super inquisitive (like our dom), though a bit more aloof than the dom. While you can pick her up and she won't fuss, she doesn't like to be held for long. However, she'll readily jump into your lap, onto your wrist, or plop on your foot whenever she pleases, and she isn't the least bit skittish or spooky. Based on my limited experience, I'd say they're great!
big_smile.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Feike Olive Eggers are usually FBCM Roo X Ameraucana Hens = Olive Eggers

The dad has to have a dark egg gene like Marans, Welsummers, etc and the mom has to be a green/blue egg layer. If you breed them together you will get chicks that lay Olive green eggs.
smile.png

~ Aspen

Producing an Olive Egger can be done with an Ameraucana roo and a Marans hen too.....as long as the offspring have a peacomb they will lay an olive egg. If they get the single comb the chance of them laying an olive egg is something like 3%. The peacomb and the blue egg gene are very closely parked and in the scheme of things genetically and seem to walk hand in hand. The single combed offspring should lay a nicely colored Marans egg (if produced with a Marans).....usually a tad lighter but some have surprized me and they lay an egg indistinguishable from my Marans. Olive eggers can also be produced using a Welsummer and an Ameraucana......basically you can create an Olive egger with any brown egg laying chicken crossed over and Ameraucana.....the lighter the brown egg layer used to make the olive egger, the lighter the olive/green egg.

smile.png

Welcome to the Welsummer thread New Wellie Friends!
frow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom