The Welsummer Thread!!!!

The pattern around the ear is what makes me think this is a partridge Rock instead of a Welsummer. Hope this helps. :)
Royce, I never said that it was not a welsummer that she has, I just stated that the color pattern in the photo looks a little off to me, my opinion. Although others have expressed their thoughts also and some have said partridge rock. I don't think it's a partridge rock.

I have been hatching, breeding, selling hatching eggs, chicks, adults for several years now. I had welsummers several years back for about 8 years. I sold out and have started breeding again for about 2 years now. I'm not claiming to be world renowned expert such as yourself, but believe me I do know welsummers.

I am listed on the WCNA breeders list as well as a member. I am NPIP certified and take pride in what I do with my birds. I for one enjoy this thread as well as the WCNA website and their facebook page.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Royce, I never said that it was not a welsummer that she has, I just stated that the color pattern in the photo looks a little off to me, my opinion. Although others have expressed their thoughts also and some have said partridge rock. I don't think it's a partridge rock.

I have been hatching, breeding, selling hatching eggs, chicks, adults for several years now. I had welsummers several years back for about 8 years. I sold out and have started breeding again for about 2 years now. I'm not claiming to be world renowned expert such as yourself, but believe me I do know welsummers.

I am listed on the WCNA breeders list as well as a member. I am NPIP certified and take pride in what I do with my birds. I for one enjoy this thread as well as the WCNA website and their facebook page.

I buy from breeders like Brian because he breeds beautiful birds. I have been duped by several so called breeders that sold me birds that were bred for profit not perfection. I truly appreciate his expertise. I got the most beautiful Welsummer eggs ever from him. I am ordering more.

Last edited by a moderator:

3 days old! Mine never had the line at the eyes or the v on top of head, didn't notice this until I seen some chicks at the farm store and I thought they were selling chick with the wrong label on them, then came home to research some. A few things mine had or didn't have, again the v on top of head, the line at the eye, it has very distinct ears which I didn't think Welsummers have. Thanks again for all comments and suggestions!

I have to admit, I'm stumped... this picture does not look like a welsummer chick. the picture at 5 weeks looks more like one, but I agree, the pattern around the head seems off - best thing to do is wait and see
idunno.gif
That's one big issue with hatchery chicks, they aren't always pure - looking at that chick I can't help but wonder if its one of the barnvelder/welsummer crosses hatcheries sometimes pop out. Hopefully you'll get the nice dark egg you want regardless!

I'm not one to recommend hatchery birds - but for people starting out sometimes that I think it may seem easy as you can order exactly what you want as far as breed and sex, and that's not usually an option with a breeder, primarily because most people want more pullets than roos and most breeders aren't willing to dispose of roos like that do at a hatchery. the hatchery is also much cheaper than buying from a breeder. I started out with hatchery birds myself. I had Welsummers from Ideal poultry. I will say, the egg color I got from them was actually pretty good, but the birds did not look like the welsummers I got from a breeder. They also behaved differently, my hatchery roos were mean!

I guess what i'm trying to say is, you will often hear us say "that's not a quality bird you should get your birds from a breeder" its not because we're trying to push breeders, it because many of us have been down the hatchery route and know that most people will be disappointed in what they get from the hatchery.

As to the WCNA, I think there are many many quality breeders listed on the site. Please don't let one person's opinion sway you from the welsummer club. That group ( including Tailfeathers when he was a member) has taught me more than I could have imagined about welsummers. I hope to continue learning from them for years to come!

I'm not one to recommend hatchery birds - but for people starting out sometimes that I think it may seem easy as you can order exactly what you want as far as breed and sex, and that's not usually an option with a breeder, primarily because most people want more pullets than roos and most breeders aren't willing to dispose of roos like that do at a hatchery. the hatchery is also much cheaper than buying from a breeder. I started out with hatchery birds myself. I had Welsummers from Ideal poultry. I will say, the egg color I got from them was actually pretty good, but the birds did not look like the welsummers I got from a breeder. They also behaved differently, my hatchery roos were mean!

I guess what i'm trying to say is, you will often hear us say "that's not a quality bird you should get your birds from a breeder" its not because we're trying to push breeders, it because many of us have been down the hatchery route and know that most people will be disappointed in what they get from the hatchery.

As to the WCNA, I think there are many many quality breeders listed on the site. Please don't let one person's opinion sway you from the welsummer club. That group ( including Tailfeathers when he was a member) has taught me more than I could have imagined about welsummers. I hope to continue learning from them for years to come!
I agree with you there! And we are still learning!

I really did not mean to start something on here. I am just a newbie at this and at this time only want eggs! I do not plan on breeding, I do know that if I would have went into this for breeding I would not have ordered from a hatchery. I just want to make sure I got what I ordered and paid for. I ordered several breeds so I could have a colorful basket of eggs. I am loving my chicks and look forward to collecting the eggs in the fall. I really appreciated everyones comments and encouragement and I am really sorry if I stirred something up on here.

I really did not mean to start something on here. I am just a newbie at this and at this time only want eggs! I do not plan on breeding, I do know that if I would have went into this for breeding I would not have ordered from a hatchery. I just want to make sure I got what I ordered and paid for. I ordered several breeds so I could have a colorful basket of eggs. I am loving my chicks and look forward to collecting the eggs in the fall. I really appreciated everyones comments and encouragement and I am really sorry if I stirred something up on here.
You didn't stir anything up. You did absolutely nothing wrong by asking a valid question. Thank you for asking and posting pictures so others may learn from this. The idea of BYC is to create a positive learning environment. I think that the majority of poultry fanciers are kind and pleasant to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom