The Welsummer Thread!!!!

go back to page 826 and there is a picture and description. not just eyeliner - but the V on the head also helps

Thanks so much!
Just what I was looking for.
highfive.gif

With my chicks it has always been 100%. You can tell males from females super easy. The above pic shows male (bottom right) no eye liner and lighter more blurry V on top of the head. Other 3 are female with eye liner and darker more defined V on top of the head. There are other breeds that have the "chipmunk" look to them like the welsummer does. It might be a little difficult to pick out just welsummers from a bin full of mixed up breeds if several others who have the chipmunk stripes too. Welsummer chicks should have bright yellow shanks (legs) clean legged (no feathers on them) no beard muffs (fluffy fat cheeks). I have owned hatchery Welsummers and they looked at hatch the same as those I have today. I have also heard people say this of hatchery welsummers but in my experience I have not found this to be true. Could be for others I suppose though.

All of these are female. See the eye liner? You can see the darker V of the top right chick in this pic.

Thanks so much for posting these... oddly enough I was told the exact opposite by a different breeder-- so I'm very glad you clarified it here! :)

I hoped some of you on here could help me out. I picked up the pair of birds below from a local person who advertised them as Partridge Rocks. But I think they might be Welsummers, as the hen is laying a very dark egg (as pictured). I'm not familiar with Welsummers though, so I thought I'd ask you to critique and weigh-in.

Picture #1 is the egg I found in the isolation pen that the rooster and hen are kept in, so I know it's definitely hers.

Picture #2 is a comparison of her egg with a standard brown egg from my flock of Barred Rocks

Picture #3 is the hen. She's a little rough across her saddle due to too much "attention" from the rooster.

Picture #4 is of the pair together

Picture #5 is of the rooster. What do you think -- are they definitely Welsummers or something else?

They look just like my well summer hens I have. I'm looking at getting a well summer rooster and that picture looks just like the picture of the one I'm wanting to get. I know well summer is not spelt right thanks to auto dictation, I'm driving

judging by the hinges on the door behind, they don't look very big.
The cockerel looks quite well developed so it doesn't look like he will shoot up.
poss partridge gold dutch bantam?

judging by the hinges on the door behind, they don't look very big.
The cockerel looks quite well developed so it doesn't look like he will shoot up.
poss partridge gold dutch bantam?
Thanks, but I think the photos are misleading. Because these are large fowl birds -- as big as my flock of barred rocks, and the eggs would grade as "large" easily.

I hoped some of you on here could help me out. I picked up the pair of birds below from a local person who advertised them as Partridge Rocks. But I think they might be Welsummers, as the hen is laying a very dark egg (as pictured). I'm not familiar with Welsummers though, so I thought I'd ask you to critique and weigh-in.

Picture #1 is the egg I found in the isolation pen that the rooster and hen are kept in, so I know it's definitely hers.

Picture #2 is a comparison of her egg with a standard brown egg from my flock of Barred Rocks

Picture #3 is the hen. She's a little rough across her saddle due to too much "attention" from the rooster.

Picture #4 is of the pair together

Picture #5 is of the rooster. What do you think -- are they definitely Welsummers or something else?
Yes, these considered as Partridge Rocks. You are lucky to find a darker egg layer in the Partridge Rocks because they usually lay just brown eggs. The roo's color pattern is Partridge and so is the hen because of her lacings in her feathers while the Welsummers has broken patterns. Thank you for sharing this with us and enjoy them! I certainly hope one day you shall have some Welsummers!

Back
Top Bottom