The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hope you breeders can humor a newbie for a couple questions.

My 7 week old roo has a couple of strange things going on......
....a bald spot on the back of his head with a couple crooked feathers. Never saw any excessive pecking or blood, but it is rather bare and larger than this pic shows it's about 1/2" long and 3/8" wide.

Funky toenail...again never saw any injury and it's never grown out as long as the others...wonder if this could be passed on to offspring or it's just a one off anomaly.

Here is Woody and his sister(8 weeks).

Hope you breeders can humor a newbie for a couple questions.

My 7 week old roo has a couple of strange things going on......
....a bald spot on the back of his head with a couple crooked feathers. Never saw any excessive pecking or blood, but it is rather bare and larger than this pic shows it's about 1/2" long and 3/8" wide.

Funky toenail...again never saw any injury and it's never grown out as long as the others...wonder if this could be passed on to offspring or it's just a one off anomaly.

Here is Woody and his sister(8 weeks).
If you can, sprinkle some Sevin's Dust or spray some Adam's Flea/Tick under their armpits. I find it worked very well. He could have gone thru a molt the way the feathers look like.

As for the toenail, I am guessing an injury.

And yes, the thread can get a bit sleepy at times but a bit more active on the FB site. People are very busy at this time of the season, breeding, showing and doing farm plantings, gardening so we have to be patient at times.

nice looking birds.i was thinking lice or something like that.. looks like nits in the pic or its just were the feathers broke off..either way the sevens wouldn't hurt them ..the feet look real healthy in my opinion..

i have 7 wellie babys right now ..just 20 days old ..hoping to get a show quality bird or 2 so I can start breeding for my granddaughter to show at the fair..i have to say watching them in the brooder , they are kinda shy compaired to the wyandottes..I've read that the wellies are a fairly friendly breed and compaired to the cooper marans are real docile..

the fb site???..i am not familur with that site..

Last edited:
I don't think those are nits, I think they are new feather sheaths.
I've been looking pretty closely at this bald spot for the last week, but will look more closely.
I really don't think of Sevin as being harmless, not totally against using chemicals but do not so without definitive cause and effect.

Looking at some older pics of his toe, it looks like the toenail was skewed sideways, maybe it damaged that last joint...or maybe the nail will grow back out in time.
Should have looked at these instead of posting about it, my apologies.

3-23 3 weeks old

3-30 4 weeks old

4-7 5 weeks old

10320440_10200855946360604_6837036631342199443_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom