The Welsummer Thread!!!!

If those were my chicks, I would say 4 hens 2 roosters. This year we are hatching many more females than roosters for some reason. And that is from different combinations.
Piet

I can't tell the difference between my Speckled Sussex and my Welsummer, so here are some photos of both! Two days old.
girl #1. This girl decided to wash her face in her coconut water to prepare for the photo shoot.

girl #1

girl #1. ... and nap time.

girl #2. Much bigger, and VERY fluffy. She's the biggest of the 4 chicks.

girl #2

girl #2

girl #2. nap time, take 2!

I can't tell the difference between my Speckled Sussex and my Welsummer, so here are some photos of both! Two days old.
girl #1. This girl decided to wash her face in her coconut water to prepare for the photo shoot.

girl #1

girl #1. ... and nap time.
I'm pretty sure #1 is the Welsummer. She has much more defined stripes, outlined with black, and the light stripes are closer to white. The other has much softer, blended stripes, and her light color is more yellow.

I can't tell the difference between my Speckled Sussex and my Welsummer, so here are some photos of both! Two days old. girl #1. This girl decided to wash her face in her coconut water to prepare for the photo shoot. girl #1 girl #1. ... and nap time. girl #2. Much bigger, and VERY fluffy. She's the biggest of the 4 chicks. girl #2 girl #2 girl #2. nap time, take 2!
So cute! #2 is the speckled Sussex, judging by the yellowish white chest. My Sussex at a day old
My one of my Welsummers at a day old (no white on the chest, just brownish)
When mine were that young, the chest coloring was the only way I could tell 'em apart.

Last edited:
So cute!
#2 is the speckled Sussex, judging by the yellowish white chest.
My Sussex at a day old

My one of my Welsummers at a day old (no white on the chest, just brownish)

When mine were that young, the chest coloring was the only way I could tell 'em apart.
Thanks for the confirmation! These are tricky breeds to distinguish; I had to comb the internet for pictures of both to compare. I agree that #2 is the Sussex. If two of us think so, it must be true!

How very cute!

For me, I think it is easier to look at the shank color rather than the down color. Welsummers=yellow feet, Sussex=white feet

Back
Top Bottom