The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Exactly! You don't have to apologize; I really appreciate honest input. I asked for it out of a desire to learn as much as I can about my girls so that I can best meet their needs, and know what to expect down the road. We are in this for eggs; so I will still enjoy them regardless of breed. Thank you, I will continue my ID quest at a later date...
she does look a little like my partridge rock- who is growing up to be the most gorgeous bird! (Don't tell my Wellie I said that!)

LOL your secret's safe with us. I tell my ugliest girl she's beautiful all the time cuz I know one day she will be :eek:). I will do some reading on partridge rock to see what I can find. Thank you!

Last edited:
I am jumping for joy! I just picked my first Wellsummer egg! One of my ladies finally laid! Its speckled and cute...and tiny
nice looking eggs ..its great to see them start to lay and earn their keep..lol i thought the first eggs would be a little bigger tho..

i think just one of mine started to lay ..i have found 4 wellie eggs but not sure if its just one bird laying them ..altho i have gotten 4 eggs they all are very small ..i sure hope they start to get bigger in time ..my birds are just 20 weeks ..

nice looking eggs ..its great to see them start to lay and earn their keep..lol i thought the first eggs would be a little bigger tho..

i think just one of mine started to lay ..i have found 4 wellie eggs but not sure if its just one bird laying them ..altho i have gotten 4 eggs they all are very small ..i sure hope they start to get bigger in time ..my birds are just 20 weeks ..

Generally my experience is a hens first few eggs are usually pretty small, then they will slowly get to a mediumish size during their first season, Second season eggs will be full size.

Gotta say I have loved my Welsummers since my husband got me 6 straight-run babies this spring. Now almost 6 mos. they continue to be sweet kids with more personality than I would have expected from a chicken (before I got into chickens, lol!) Here are my two favorites - my rooster, Max, and my pal, Susie who always gets as close to me as possible and chatters away about how life is treating her. Neither likes to be held but they are always curious about what's going on!

Gotta say I have loved my Welsummers since my husband got me 6 straight-run babies this spring. Now almost 6 mos. they continue to be sweet kids with more personality than I would have expected from a chicken (before I got into chickens, lol!) Here are my two favorites - my rooster, Max, and my pal, Susie who always gets as close to me as possible and chatters away about how life is treating her. Neither likes to be held but they are always curious about what's going on!

nice looking birds you have there ..i love watching them change as they grow..

i was out cleaning the coop the other day and found one of my wellies nesting on the floor in the corner..so i watched to see if she left an egg or not and she was lsetting on a rock that was in the straw..lol..i wasnt sure i wanted to pick her up and put on a nest , so i left her set on it ..i removed the rock and today shes back in that corner on the floor nesting ..any ideas of how to break her or them of this ..i just introduced my 4 older birds to my new birds and some of the older birds have been laying on the floor as well ..i changed all their nesting boxes with new straw ..

nice looking birds you have there ..i love watching them change as they grow..

i was out cleaning the coop the other day and found one of my wellies nesting on the floor in the corner..so i watched to see if she left an egg or not and she was lsetting on a rock that was in the straw..lol..i wasnt sure i wanted to pick her up and put on a nest , so i left her set on it ..i removed the rock and today shes back in that corner on the floor nesting ..any ideas of how to break her or them of this ..i just introduced my 4 older birds to my new birds and some of the older birds have been laying on the floor as well ..i changed all their nesting boxes with new straw ..
I put a golf ball in the nesting box. That got my girls laying in the right place.

Back
Top Bottom