The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Thanks for all the replies on my little rooster chick. If anyone's interested in the western PA region (PA, OH, WV), I put an ad for him over on the Buy-Sell-Trade thread! We've had a wonderful experience with all our Meyer chicks (I have two that are still laying at least 3 eggs a week and going strong at 6 years old--all our Meyer hens have been lovely, happy, and healthy), and I have every reason to think this guy would follow the trend.
smile.png

I choose Welsummers to raise here in southern florida when we get our own home. Anyone able to recommend a good breeder? I tend to go all out for my "projects" so I will likely be breeding for "perfection" eventually, so I would like to start with good stock.

Hello I'm new here and hoping someone can help. My husband and I got 4 Welsummers chicks right before easter. In June one died. It appeared to have over heated. We added a second waterer and a fan to the coop. Then 2 weeks later one of the othe chicks started walking funny and eventually wouldn't even stand up. She died about a week after this started. So we were left with two. Last week when we went to get eggs from our older chickens we found another one dead. We inspected her body and found a fluffy butt, no blood no mites nothing. She had been fine the day before. 3 days ago while cleaning the coop we had to pick the last of put welsummers up to move her. We witnessed her walk fine after that and eat and drink but she just seemed to want to lay there. My husband found her dead this moening. Again she had a fluffy butt and no evidence that the older chickens had picked on her. Do I need to worry about my other chickens? Any help would be appriciated

What do you think of the features on this little Welsummer I picked up from my local feed store?

Maybe a little scaly leg mite there, so I'm doing the oiled bird routine today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom