The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Sadly I am in Kingman AZ I can go to nearby places here or Vegas or even some places in Southern Ca or have one shipped I am heart broken over losing him and really need to find another one

Any advice on laying age? I have two pullets in my flock that are just over 26 weeks, and I'm starting to worry if I'll ever see any eggs from them!

Mine, at over eights old were the oldest of my pullets to start laying. However their olive egger daughters all started before six months, closer to the five month mark. Maybe because they were winter babies?

So, I got the chicks about a week ago, a mix of Wellies and Ameraucaunas. They were approx a week old when we got them, the wellies were a little older/had more feathering than the Am's. I have at least 2 wellie roo's in the bunch.

But now we're faced with a dilemma. There are 15 surviving chicks. 8 Welsummers, 7 Am's. The biggest and very obvious Wellie roo has taken to destroying the Ameraucauna's tails. All but the biggest Am in the bunch is now tailless. They are in a 4'x5' brooder, have shiny CD's on the sides, have a treat ball I put some lettuce in so far, 2 different feed stations, same with water and a baby block. Throwing bugs at em when I can find some. It is only this one cockerel that is doing it. I don't know what to do. He's very brave and bold, figured out he can fly a little bit and was able to get over the 20" divider we put in place between him and the rest of the flock. He is not doing this to any of the wellie girls. The only thing I can think of is we currently have a red bulb in the single heat lamp we have running. I meant to swing by petco to grab a ceramic one today, but forgot before work. We also have some "mini roosts" (branches) for them to play on/practice on, but he doesn't seem to care about those. Any other ideas?? They are in a insulated/heated garage and the running temp in there is only 72, but they seem comfortable with it and have been sleeping away from the heat lamp. Maybe turn it off at night? All the others get along great. I was hoping we'd get the roo's to 12 weeks before we have to dispatch any, but I guess this guy may turn out to be the exception. I proposed turning him into a house chicken during separation, but got a big fat NO from my husband about that. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom