The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Well, let's put it this way, there was never a white or off white Wellie stock and we do not encourage in breeding them unless you want to start with project White Welsummer birds. The so called "pure" is not really pure and it has really disappoint some folks that "fraud" has been committed. The egg color was questionable as well. I would not buy any of the hatching eggs or chicks from that person.

If it was me, I would never use it for Welsummer breeding, but it would be a nice egg layer OR breeding pen of Olive Eggers.

Quote:
Agreed, Very Well Put Robin!!!

I havent ever hatched out a white chick, And I have put over 300 eggs in the incubator myself this year... Plus I have shipped a ton of eggs as well, and never a white chick out of my welsummer eggs...

I believe this all started on Ebay with someone selling "purebred" wellsummer eggs, is that correct!?

I am hearing and seeing some good news for the welsummer breed in 2011... Much is in store with breeding, and new bloodlines!!! More information to follow...

As fall is approaching, it would be great to see pics of peoples birds, I love pictires!!! Does anyone have any pictures of the backs of their welsummers(close up of back, so you can see feathers and the pattern of them)...

Nate

Quote:
Yeah- I was thinking in terms of a project. If they didn't have 1/2 way interesting egg color though it wouldn't really be worth it.

I would personally scrap the idea of a project of that... Because even if you are breeding for a white welsummer, people are going to have the true red partridge welsummer come out of the white breeding, and pass it along as a "purebred" welsummer, and it will then also throw the sports...

It is totally up to you, but I would personally would not sell ANY of the stock until/if it were perfected, if you decide to do a project!?

Nate

Quote:

I havent ever hatched out a white chick, And I have put over 300 eggs in the incubator myself this year... Plus I have shipped a ton of eggs as well, and never a white chick out of my welsummer eggs...

I believe this all started on Ebay with someone selling "purebred" wellsummer eggs, is that correct!?

I am hearing and seeing some good news for the welsummer breed in 2011... Much is in store with breeding, and new bloodlines!!! More information to follow...

As fall is approaching, it would be great to see pics of peoples birds, I love pictires!!! Does anyone have any pictures of the backs of their welsummers(close up of back, so you can see feathers and the pattern of them)...

Nate

Yes, it started off with someone selling it on Ebay and it really did upset alot of people who WANTED pure Wellies.

Can't wait to see the new adventures of the Welsummers!

I'll see if I can take some pictures today to get some close ups of their backs. Do you want neck feathers included? LF or BF?

I don't know how many eggs total I have hatched since I started with my Welsummers but I can say I have never hatched out a white chick. I wouldn't even want to imagine my surprise while looking into the bator at a little white one looking back up at me. That is the day I would give anything to be a fly on my own wall to see the look on my face.
lol.png

Outback~ Congrats on your hatch though. What do you think you plan on doing with this little white chick? Ewesheep has a great idea for using it in an Olive Egger pen. I will be interested in seeing this chick grow if you keep it around. They are cute by the way even if one is white
smile.png

Nate~

I think I have some photos of the girls backs and feather pattern. Are you looking for photos that only show the feather pattern on the back of the bird? Or would any photo of the birds feather pattern work as long as you can see it clearly?

Last edited:
Quote:

Nate

Yes, it started off with someone selling it on Ebay and it really did upset alot of people who WANTED pure Wellies.

Can't wait to see the new adventures of the Welsummers!

I'll see if I can take some pictures today to get some close ups of their backs. Do you want neck feathers included? LF or BF?

Thats what I had thought... I am looking for back pics that shows the shaft of the females... I have been in contact with some to breeders of welsummers in both the Netherlands and the UK, and am looking around to see what others in the USA have compared to the Dutch and the UK.

Both bantam or standard would be great, just note on the pic...

Nate

Hello,

I am new to raising chickens. I decided to start raising Welsummers about 6 weeks ago. I purchased 6 chicks from a Welsummer breeder near Memphis, TN. One of them has a white head, and a white stripe down its breast. I have since learned that this is not correct for a Welsummer. Does anyone have any idea what happened? What do you think about the others in the pictures? Thanks for any info.

Michael

64082_img_6420.jpg

64082_img_6418.jpg

64082_img_6419.jpg

Back
Top Bottom