The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Well Ideal called, they don't have anymore available so they are sending me 10 assorted pullet chicks this week instead. I can deal with that one! See if I can get something brood breed in there!

Quote:
Opa -you're killin' me!!!!! Here I'm all excited because my 2 Wellie girls are 23 weeks tomorrow - I run home and check the lay boxes... No wonder there's no darn eggs there! Darn!

Gotta admit, only one of them looks mature enough to lay - red comb and wattles (did I spell that right?), tail up now - the other one is still pale. Vent checking is above my skill sets, I'm too new at this. Oh well, it's still fun to run home and check for eggs! I don't think that will ever get old... I'll try to post a pic this weekend; messed my back up on vacation and can't get into the right position to take a photo....

You did spell wattle correctly. I never cease to be amazed at the number of folks on BYC who say or spell it waddle. Just remember chickens have wattles and ducks and fat ladies waddle.

Hey All,

I've got a "Quail Faced" chick Question.

These are 6 of 50 I got from Sand Hill. I messed up big time by ordering 20 Welsummers, 20 Partridge Rock and 10 Partridge Barnevelders.
barnie.gif

The chicks looked very similar but I think the Wellies were easiest to tell from the others. However these looked like Wellies but could have been Barnies or Rocks.

Let me know what you think. If they're Wellies they wouldn't be to APA Standard right?

1 2
76965_img_2602.jpg
76965_img_2604.jpg

3 4
76965_img_2606.jpg
76965_img_2608.jpg

5 6
76965_img_2609.jpg
76965_img_2611.jpg

Number two may be OK for a Wellie? I banded them all and they are 10 weeks old. I will get photos of them posted today or tomorrow.

You got some weird patterned Wellies in there and I am not surprised about it. Like the thread that had the SandHill Preservation information, I am disappointed with the breeder not doing his job. I would avoid those Welsummers from Sandhill like the plague, you just don't know what you are getting. If it was the original flock he got them from the breeder, I woudl not have a problem but since he had them for years, no thanks!

Thanks for sharing it with us, it has been enlightening and confirms what their Welsummers look like. If you can post every now and then until they are matured, we would appreciate seeing what they look like as adults. AND their egg colors as well.

Quote:
Hi Steve!

I would love to see photos of them.....are the girls big? How do their combs and wattles look? I have only ever had one Welsummer take her sweet time starting to lay, the rest usually start laying right around 5 to 5.5 months/ My birds are on lights too so that may make a difference in when they start to lay.
Photos Mr!
old.gif
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom