The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Look what I got in the mail today!  I had no idea they could be so dark. I have had Welsummers, but my eggs weren't this dark.  Those eggs are all speckled in different ways too. From the peppered look, to the mottled look.  I have the breeders name on there..was showing it off on my state thread..but had to share, and, ask a question here.   I remember reading somewhere, that Welsummers could be sexed at hatching.  Now I'm reading that the V mark isn't that reliable anymore?  And also have read that the Welsummer cockeral will get the comb in quicker than most breeds.  I would love it if the V shape mark was still a good indication for a girl.  Wouldn't that be easy..or is it...still?  

I'm glad you are happy with your eggs and that they all arrived in one piece. Also, thanks for the free publicity. We can use all that we can get. I try to ship the speckled eggs since that's what everyone seems to like most. But they also lay a dark, solid egg with little to no speckles. Good luck with your hatch.

Good looking eggs! I got my eggs from Bethel as well. I had 4 chicks that all had a strong V shape and i thought i got 4 pullets. Ends up I got 3 pullets and a cockerel. So her line of Wellies does not hold up to the V shape or eyeliner sexing. My male did get a big comb fast.
here is a photo of them at 2 weeks old. He has the yellow band. you can see his comb is pretty big already.

and at 4 weeks

Awww....my babies babies. I'm glad you got a roo and three gals because now you can have some more babies.

My Granddaughter learning how to hold a Welsummer chick. I thought they were finally big enough for her not to crush them while she was learning how to hold something gently. She'll be 2 the end of this month. she loves the chickens, chickie was one of her first words

You're welcome and I'm glad I could be some help to others. Each folder should contain enough different angles that one will be able to distinguish features like the headcap, eye-liners, rate of feathering, etc.

God Bless,

Royce,

Thanks for taking the time to do this, as I'm sure it's no small feat. I've got a good handful of 3wk old chicks that started losing some of the feather on their backs.... someone advised me Vaseline for prevention of pecking..... but in looking them over, I just see dry skin and new feathers and black quills are coming in where the down fell out. Will post pix as those speak a thousand words.

My Granddaughter learning how to hold a Welsummer chick. I thought they were finally big enough for her not to crush them while she was learning how to hold something gently. She'll be 2 the end of this month. she loves the chickens, chickie was one of her first words

She is definitely a Doll. Very Cute.

Royce,

Thanks for taking the time to do this, as I'm sure it's no small feat. I've got a good handful of 3wk old chicks that started losing some of the feather on their backs.... someone advised me Vaseline for prevention of pecking..... but in looking them over, I just see dry skin and new feathers and black quills are coming in where the down fell out. Will post pix as those speak a thousand words.
That's normal, pinfeathers come in and grow!

Vaseline will not prevent chicks from pecking. There are various factors why they peck, crowding, bright light, boredom, not enough protein in feed, or just being mean. Spray some Blue Kote would stop it. It worked for me and one other option was to move half of the chicks to another pen.

That's normal, pinfeathers come in and grow!

Vaseline will not prevent chicks from pecking. There are various factors why they peck, crowding, bright light, boredom, not enough protein in feed, or just being mean. Spray some Blue Kote would stop it. It worked for me and one other option was to move half of the chicks to another pen.
Ah ha!! Thx - you just confirmed my suspicions re: pinfeathers. And yes, they might have been too crowded.... am moving them slowly out of brooder into their coop this weekend since they've outgrown it. (I'm limited in attaching a picture- maybe not enough posts or something...)

I have read that Welsummers are great layers, and they ARE friendly. They are routinely jumping up into our hands (most of them anyway). Several seem VERY attached to us.

My question is this, how do they Winter in cold climates?

And also if they don't get broody, how do we propagate?

Thanks!

I have read that Welsummers are great layers, and they ARE friendly. They are routinely jumping up into our hands (most of them anyway). Several seem VERY attached to us.

My question is this, how do they Winter in cold climates?

And also if they don't get broody, how do we propagate?

Thanks!

Welcome! We have had Welsummers for 3 years and they do just fine in our winters. They have a coop and run that they hang out in. We have roosters and haven't had to do anything special to his comb and wattles and have had no problems with frostbite. We incubate and hatch out Welsummer eggs each year. Around Nov each year we seperate the chickens by breed-right now the hens/pullets are all in one area and the roosters are pen individual or in small group depending on if they are cool with each other. We collect eggs and set mid Dec for a new years day hatch.

Back
Top Bottom