The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

Pics
. Yes the ckl does have some stippling(just a bit) in his neck feathers. The picture was hard to take so its not completely focused. He has been a free ranger and is very nervouse in the pen, even though it is 30ft X 20ft.

The pullet very well may have blue in her, it is hard for me to tell. (I still havent gotten her in the pen lol)

I thought the cockeral had black feathers but I can see, especially on his breast, there is dark blue. I would love to have some babies that are silver based with or with out blue. I hope I can get some of those and get that (how would you say it)to be a regular feature.

Wow you "guys/gals" are so helpful. :)

I always wanted silver leghorns but once I saw these 'accidents' I thought maybe I can get something simlar to it for my backyard. :) And they are excellent free rangers!!!!! I better get that female in there today so I can start the 3 week countdown to collect eggs. I live in Wisconsin so plenty of time for breeding still. :) It wont get ttoo hot. I hope. :)

Last edited:
Which is a golden duckwing
wink.png

yes, forgot that! And I've been wanting to see a one of those for a while now.

I am taking notes! And I will be breeding the two of them(EEs). I just put her in the pen with him tonight after she came to roost, so I will start collecting eggs in three weeks. When they hatch I will take pictures and then picts every week or so. And post them here. I am so happy people are interested in this. It will be very interesting to see the colors of the "test" chicks. Hopefully it will be a big clutch.

Thanks so much for your comments and interest.

Last edited:
Mera,

If he is the offspring from a cross between a silver duck-wing and a gold duck-wing with autosomal red; then you will get the same effect as a gold duck-wing that carries cream. The probabilities are higher that he is heterozygous at the silver locus (silver/gold) but he could also be a gold duck-wing that carries cream ( ig/ig). The problem with chicken genetics is that you can get the same phenotype (what the bird looks like) with different genotypes (genes in the bird).

Tim

Not to muddy the waters by showing a young roo,

but here is a variation of the color I am getting in the cochins.

Their heads and saddles usually have much more silver lacing on blue however even when young.

But since it's the only photo I have at the moment ... this one goes with the Frizzle I posted here way back yonder...

Still wondering what this should be called. Entered in fair (with more silver) as a Blue Brassy Gold. They are always blue. We get no dark roos or hens.

Back
Top Bottom