the wierd moment

birdboy508

Songster
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
east taunton
is it just me or geese are loyal as any thing.
wink.png

Last edited:
I have never had geese but my mom tells stories all the time about when she was little her grandpa had some geese.
She says that he would sit under the umbrella tree and the geese would gather around him. If the kids got close to
him, they were promptly sent on their way. Sounds very loyal (and a little jealous!LOL) to me. Also some days I could
have a little me time to myself to reflect! Many I should get some guard geese.

I was judging a field trial in RI.
By the exit off of 95 to go to the club a goose had been killed along the side of the road.
For the 4 days that I was there, the gander was standing by her side.

Quote:
hit.gif
that is so touching, and sad, why didn't someone move her body to protect him from getting killed or hurt. I know he would have tried to stop them but it would have been for his own good.
sad.png

Actually she was up on an embankment as if someone had placed her there. The gander was safe, but he looked so pitiful. One morning as we went by he went up to her body and nuzzled her as if trying to waken her.

Quote:
Well that makes me feel better, but I bet it was heartbreaking to see that every day. He just didn't understand, I hope he did finally leave and find another mate. See I want an ending to this story. {a happy one}.

We had a pair come back 3 years in a row, never successfully hatching a clutch. This past spring something got the female. The gander stuck around for a week calling for her, it was so heartbreaking. We hatched one of the eggs. I'm hoping he will come back next year with a new mate. He will for sure recognize my call. Every spring whenever they would return I would call "here goose, goose, goose" in a high pitched voice that only a woman can do. They would come to me for whole grain bread or corn. He came back on a regular basis for about a month. After his gosling hatched we took it outside when he was there and he was very interested in her, but she of course had imprinted on us so she wanted nothing to do with him.

Quote:
Thats what my geese do!
after I take them for walks they will gather around my lawn chair and just bed down. if I sit and fall asleep they stay right there.

they also like to untie my shoes while they sit too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats what my geese do!
after I take them for walks they will gather around my lawn chair and just bed down. if I sit and fall asleep they stay right there.

they also like to untie my shoes while they sit too.

As long as they don't start tying your laces together.......
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom