The worst day

I just went out to the coop, to let my birds out, and I saw my cute little lemon barred hen Phoebe's feathers about, it didn't look good, then I found her body, head missing. Raccoon? I didn't know she was still out when door was closed last night.
Ommygoodness!! What a terrible couple days you’ve had! Yes that is the calling card of a raccoon. They reach through the wire and grab the heads

OH NO! Poor Phoebe!

I've just been reading Morrigan's bobcat nightmare. I am so upset about everyone's losses. My only consolation is knowing that I'm not the only one who tried her best and thought she was doing everything right and still feels like she let her flock down.

I have to laugh at my cats, though. They're indoor cats and unfamiliar with chickens. They don't know what to think about having all these birds in the house, especially Coffee, who is huge. They'll have to put up with it until we are 110% sure that it's safe for everybody to go back out.

My family that has passed with Alzheimers behaved simarly,they got a window of lucidity before passing. It made it a little easier on my side to see that happen.:hugs
I was out of town in Las Vegas when my dad died. We were due to come back home 1 day later, which we did, we got home 2 days before the terrible Vegas thing happened in Oct.

My dad must have been ready, and knew he was going to die though, he was in his nursing home, and got all dressed up and told the ladies he was ready to go, not long before he died. What was interesting was he had been in a wheelchair for months and they said he was walking around the home, no wheel chair or walker when he was ready to go.

So very, very sorry for you (and gimmie birdies too) I totally know how you feel. Sorrow and guilt in equal measures. I just lost most of my flock 3 days ago to a bobcat. I had 5 years of never losing a chicken inside the coop and I had grown complacent. I had a gap over my fence too, and was letting the automatic door to the coop open a little sooner than it should. I even feel horrible about the bobcat we had to shoot.

Try not to beat yourself up. You obviously care greatly for your birds and are giving them the best care you can. We are not perfect and predators are sneaky and relentless. It's just not possible to anticipate everything.

I want you to think about something important here, besides your loss which is, of course, tragic and so sad. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this.

But I want you to think about how many of us you have just helped by posting. Let Cocoa's legacy be that because of him, we have all been shaken up and realize that even the best predator proofing isn't foolproof. Latches loosen, gates sag and get little gaps in them, little spots where a predator has tried to dig under go unnoticed. The conventional wisdom is to build it like Fort Knox. Well, even Fort Knox is constantly monitored for weakened defenses. It's patrolled and safeguards already in place are checked and double checked. A lot of us forget that. You reminded us, and I thank you profusely. :hugs

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you feel better soon. It's always tough losing a friend. I tend to mourn for a long time <3
Well if you ever need to talk you can message me anytime.
:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom