The worst happened

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4Chickies001, Mar 14, 2013.

1. 4Chickies001

4Chickies001 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas Ya'll
    My girls are probably about 2 months old and we lost one at the start of 4 chicks total. She was pecked. So my dad got us three more and then we had 6. My dog, Koda, always stares at them in the run, and today while I was gone fourwheeling, the worst happened. Koda got my prettiest girl, Freckles. Both my dogs are grounded they were in big trouble and they knew it right when we walked outside. They sleep outside in the kennel and only go out to go to the bathroom. I'm very mad and sad right now. We were just going to do the old dtie the chicken around the dogs neck until it rot s thing, but Koda at every bit of my chicken...
    R.I.P Freckles, 2013-2013. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    Very sorry for your loss [​IMG]. Animals will be animals though... have you found out how Koda got in the run?

3. joeyfender

joeyfender Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    I got new chicks today. They are in a metal trough in the garage. We were looking at them and one of my dogs, Darby came in and started licking his lips! New rule: no dogs in the garage! I'm very sorry for your loss. Its hard when one pet kills another :(

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so very sorry for your loss. I losty first chick so I understand your pain. I would be extra cautious with the dogs now that they have gotten a hold of chicken they won't forget the taste easily. *hug*

5. 4Chickies001

4Chickies001 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas Ya'll
    Yes... he chewed through the chicken wire.

6. cleigh

cleigh New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    I'm so sorry. That's rough. I know a couple of people who have invisible fences around their coops to keep their pups away from it. Maybe something like that would help?

7. DimondaleBergs

DimondaleBergs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Sorry for your losses :-(

We have three dogs (a male Wiemaraner, a male (and don't laugh) Min.Pin./Golden retriever mix, and a female Doberman/Whippet mix). Yesterday the Wiem came into my office with me where the chicks are (first time in three weeks he's paid any attention to the chirping) and just stood there staring and sniffing. Well I let him explore them until I looked over and noticed he was licking his lips and drooling! lol Now he is banned from the room. lol I'm hoping we don't have problems with him when they get outdoors after it warms up. We are using the welded wire for the run since it will be stronger.

8. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Sorry about your chick.
    It is very hard to keep dogs and birds together.
    I think you will do a good job, and you will like having chickens.
    It will be OK.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I use a strand of hot wire, works like a charm. I also make my runs out of chainlink or welded wire.

10. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

i am so sorry for your loss hope that doesn't happen again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by