Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
I have 3 new chicks & there is a Steller's jay stalking them. Very bold & clever. When they're getting fresh air, even though they're in cage, they're not safe - jay got in the converted dog cage; luckily chicks got out same cage & were safe. Now I don't let them out of sight for more than 30 seconds when they're in fresh air. I still have to chase him away. I may get a water-bazooka or pea-shooter.
IMG_20180605_155639.jpg

I will have to say that living on a farm that borders our timber, this had me unsure of what to choose! We lost 20 some birds one winter to a mink. It gor into the coop through our sliding barn door, maybe a couple inches of clearance tops, and killed everything that moved. We have had bald eagles scare them into their coop and even tried to eyeball our mini potbelly. We've recently had a night predator, i suspect a fox or an owl because of the turkey we lost was missing it's head and inside of her shoulders. The grandparents in law that live on the property had a cat killed the day before in our other barn. It's head and neck bit, and it's insides pulled out by it's genitals. Awful, awful scenarios. We've also adoptes dogs that killed some. Too many to choose, all unfortunate. :(

I haven't been on BYC in years because life in the coop had been soooo copacetic for years. Sadly, in April, my last three remaining hens were killed by raccoons. But, foxes have been a constant problem here, too. Skunks and opossums are also here, but I've never had them attack my chickens. I'm actually planning to stop having chickens for a year just so the predators find another food source. My coop is secure, with an automatic door. The pen is 6-feet tall but open on the top. That is when the predators get in. All have been killed outside the coop. Two were killed in the pen, and one out in the yard on a day I dared to let them free range.

I went down to give my guineas some watermelon, I walked along to the different groups as they are free ranging, now. Then I walked to the little barn I put a large hunk in the back yard pen and walked around to the man door as I had heard something inside. I was hoping one of the girls and gotten back on the eggs, we had a dog get in there and they abandoned the nest. As I came to the door something hit the screen from the inside. I could see the hawk's curved beak so I went ahead and opened it to let it out. It was a barred hawk I think. I never thought it would go inside, it would have had to walk in.

Using game camera found my problem was a coon. Actually it was a female with 3 teen Kits. Marshmallow bait stolen through the sides of the Havaheart 1045 trap. Solution was to put boards outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
I lost a duck the other night around 9. It was still partially light out. Something came into the yard and got her. I found her in the cornfield next to our house without her head. We were thinking a raccoon? I haven’t seen any predators in the area. I’ve had a trap set for 2 nights now with no luck.

Some predators are harder to trap then others until you identify the predator then make your trap adjustments to fit the problem animal and you will have better trapping results. Invest in some Trail cams that have good reviews to identify your critters, I prefer the"NO GLOW " imeters myself.

Back
Top Bottom