Most common chicken killing predators?

What's the most common predator in your area?

• Bear

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Fox

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Raccoon

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • Hunters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawk

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • Owl

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Possums

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Skunks

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Bobcats

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • House Cats

• Large Cats

• Coyote

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Dog

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters
In terms of animals that I have actually seen in proximity to my chickens, hawks are the worst. I don't know if I have ever lost a chicken to one (aside from the one that I lost a few weeks ago, which might or might not have been the fault of a hawk), but they get quite brave.

I have had foxes, skunks, opossums, and raccoons in the yard (sometimes in broad daylight), as well as a mink or weasel of some sort. I've seen domestic cats passing through, as well as the occasional roaming dog.

Coyotes will walk across the back of the property, but they haven't yet crossed the fence that I've seen and hopefully never will because I do not want to come face to face with a coyote in the dark. 😂

I want to get cameras to see what actually comes through the yard at night. At the same time, I'm not sure that I actually want to know. 😂

Dogs and Coyotes will destroy a whole flock, not just pick off one at a time like with Hawks and Owls. So for me they are the worst. But raccoons are a close third, because they are so intelligent, and can also climb. Raccoons are known for figuring out how to jimmy open a latch, so best to keep the coop under lock and key if they are around.

One thing I dispute is the idea that cover will protect chickens from hawks and owls. Sometimes it will, especially if they spot a human around. But they are quite capable of following chickens on the ground and pouncing on them, too. Especially owls, who are often out in the morning or early evening in the summer.

Dogs and Coyotes will destroy a whole flock, not just pick off one at a time like with Hawks and Owls. So for me they are the worst. But raccoons are a close third, because they are so intelligent, and can also climb. Raccoons are known for figuring out how to jimmy open a latch, so best to keep the coop under lock and key if they are around.

One thing I dispute is the idea that cover will protect chickens from hawks and owls. Sometimes it will, especially if they spot a human around. But they are quite capable of following chickens on the ground and pouncing on them, too. Especially owls, who are often out in the morning or early evening in the summer.
Things like dogs hunt for sport, not for food, though coyotes might just for food.
I had one killed by a raccoon, the nasty little things.
Hated them ever since! It was my first and only death.

In terms of animals that I have actually seen in proximity to my chickens, hawks are the worst. I don't know if I have ever lost a chicken to one (aside from the one that I lost a few weeks ago, which might or might not have been the fault of a hawk), but they get quite brave.

I have had foxes, skunks, opossums, and raccoons in the yard (sometimes in broad daylight), as well as a mink or weasel of some sort. I've seen domestic cats passing through, as well as the occasional roaming dog.

Coyotes will walk across the back of the property, but they haven't yet crossed the fence that I've seen and hopefully never will because I do not want to come face to face with a coyote in the dark. 😂

I want to get cameras to see what actually comes through the yard at night. At the same time, I'm not sure that I actually want to know. 😂
Hawks are the worst!

Dogs and Coyotes will destroy a whole flock, not just pick off one at a time like with Hawks and Owls.
As will Bears. I know of three people who have lost chickens to bears on our road, and I am sure there are more that I have not heard of.

One of the three, longtime family friends, has lost their small flock at least four times over a few decades: in their early days before they had an electrified run, one evening when they had not yet turned on the electricity for the night after having it off during the day, through the side of the coop after they started keeping the electric fence on 24/7, and finally through a couple of 1” boards in the interior wall separating their winter coop area from the barn aisle. Those last three attacks were only separated by a few years each and they gave up on chickens after that last one. (They were going to give up after the second to last, but a chicken wandered into their yard so they got more to keep her company – they asked around but never did figure out from whence she came.)

Things like dogs hunt for sport, not for food, though coyotes might just for food.
I had one killed by a raccoon, the nasty little things.
Hated them ever since! It was my first and only death.
Some years ago, during a heavy snow, I heard banging and snapping, like something trying to get into my hen house. Lacking a gun handy didn't slow me down a bit as I raced out the door anyway and around the corner to the coop. There, hanging off the top of the coop, was a young raccoon trying to pry the edge of the henhouses shed roof up! It wasn't hardly half grown in size. It just stared at me, curled it's lip and did not back off so I grabbed a huge handful of wet snow, fast packed a snow ball and (for the first time in decades!) hit exactly where I aimed. Smacked that little monster right in the kisser! I'll never forget the shock on it's pointy face.
It fell backwards off the coop cover and scrambled away at top speed through the snow.
My husband was seconds behind me and cracked up laughing saying. "Well hun, now I know how to get you to actually hit what you're throwing at. From now on I'll just paint a chicken killing raccoon mask on it and you'll nail it." It's been at least 8 years now and he's still teasing me about it....
Nobody hurts my chooks!

Some years ago, during a heavy snow, I heard banging and snapping, like something trying to get into my hen house. Lacking a gun handy didn't slow me down a bit as I raced out the door anyway and around the corner to the coop. There, hanging off the top of the coop, was a young raccoon trying to pry the edge of the henhouses shed roof up! It wasn't hardly half grown in size. It just stared at me, curled it's lip and did not back off so I grabbed a huge handful of wet snow, fast packed a snow ball and (for the first time in decades!) hit exactly where I aimed. Smacked that little monster right in the kisser! I'll never forget the shock on it's pointy face.
It fell backwards off the coop cover and scrambled away at top speed through the snow.
My husband was seconds behind me and cracked up laughing saying. "Well hun, now I know how to get you to actually hit what you're throwing at. From now on I'll just paint a chicken killing raccoon mask on it and you'll nail it." It's been at least 8 years now and he's still teasing me about it....
Nobody hurts my chooks!
That's awesome! (I can't hit anything in the right spot either)
The raccoon that got Boba got her through the chicken wire after she squeezed through the CLOSED coop door. I got a better door after that!

Back
Top Bottom