Most common chicken killing predators?

What's the most common predator in your area?

• Bear

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Fox

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Raccoon

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • Hunters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawk

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • Owl

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Possums

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Skunks

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Bobcats

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • House Cats

• Large Cats

• Coyote

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Dog

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters
Predators are going to be very regional specific. For example, in northern Michigan you need to concerned about bears but not coyotes. In Central/Eastern Oregon we don’t have to worry about bears or fox, but coyotes are everywhere. We have at least 3 different packs of coyotes in our area, along with hawks, owls, bobcats, and even the occasional cougar.

Predation depends on your location. I have a problem with Coopers hawks when chicks are small, have had problems with free ranging/feral dogs

When I first got chicken my dog killed almost the whole flock. she's trained now to leave them alone. I was not very aware when I first got chickens, about 3 years ago.

Predators are going to be very regional specific. For example, in northern Michigan you need to concerned about bears but not coyotes. In Central/Eastern Oregon we don’t have to worry about bears or fox, but coyotes are everywhere. We have at least 3 different packs of coyotes in our area, along with hawks, owls, bobcats, and even the occasional cougar.
Yep! We don't have bobcats or cougars here. But this is just the one you think is the worst in GENERAL.

Very true... I did many years in N. Michigan. Didn't have chickens at that time but replaced quite a few bird feeders because of bears.

I heard a pack of coyotes in the woods near my house tonight…gave me the creeps to hear all that yipping and howling - and I frequently walk my dog out there too (not at night but still…!).

Back
Top Bottom