The Wyandotte Bantam Thread

Hello,

I am new to BYC and interested in learning more about the breed. Please let me know if you are able to point me in the right direction with regard to raising and showing a Wyandotte bantam for the county fair.

Thank you, Kelli

Hello,

I am new to BYC and interested in learning more about the breed. Please let me know if you are able to point me in the right direction with regard to raising and showing a Wyandotte bantam for the county fair.

Thank you, Kelli

The best first step is to attend the fair and see how they do things, and ask around.

If you are a kid, or want to do this with a kid then 4H or FFA are excellent programs that will walk you through the entire progress.

Usually though, the Country fairs are low key, mostly for lots of fun kind of things (verses a serious poultry show).

For a Country fair just clean up your bird and then bring him in! :D you have to be there every day to feed and water... But sometimes you can hire a 4H kid to feed and water for you if you live far away.

Here are some pictures of my up and coming black cockerel. Comments are welcome. I feel like he's still young and needs to fill out more, including feathering. I think it's a good start though.

Wyandottes are supposed to fit in a circle.... He doesn't quite fit in a circle....

Here is a photo ....

Wyandotte is upper left corner.

From : the Wyandotte Handbook put out by the Wyandotte Club of Australia.

Hello everyone! I'm looking into breeding heritage chickens for the first time, in particular bantams. Wyandottes and Brahmas are on the top of my list. Does anyone here know any Wyandotte breeders I could contact?

I got some hatching eggs from ebay one year. Last summer I got a blue bantam wyandotte from purely poultry. She looks pretty true to type...especially considering that she is hatchery.

Good luck with your search.

Just an FYI, I had brahmas twice (hatchery), and the girls were sweet, but I didn't like any of the boys. Either not good personalities, or just too heavy for the backs of the ladies.

Also, the rate of lay in relation to feed intake was disapointing. Lastly, I live in a wet cold climate, so the feathered feet were a large bother.

I prefer Wyandottes.

Hello everyone! I'm looking into breeding heritage chickens for the first time, in particular bantams. Wyandottes and Brahmas are on the top of my list. Does anyone here know any Wyandotte breeders I could contact?

Back
Top Bottom