The Wyandotte Thread

This morning she did it again. This time it was Ah-ah-ah-ahhhh. My DH said it sounded like she was laughing at us.

Her cockerel buddies will be processed Monday so we will see if that makes a difference. I just have never seen a cockerel with no comb at 12 weeks old. Still don't see any saddle feathers. I am waiting it out. As of now it is just morning, if it continues throughout day, I don't think my husband will want to keep her.

This morning she did it again. This time it was Ah-ah-ah-ahhhh. My DH said it sounded like she was laughing at us.

Her cockerel buddies will be processed Monday so we will see if that makes a difference. I just have never seen a cockerel with no comb at 12 weeks old. Still don't see any saddle feathers. I am waiting it out. As of now it is just morning, if it continues throughout day, I don't think my husband will want to keep her.

Maybe s/he is a hermaphrodite ...

I have a project pen that I am going to be doing some testing one. Once I test fertility I will have them available. I ended up, by dumb luck, with some cuckoo wyandottes... that were also choc. I have one Choc pullet, one cuckoo, several choc pullets covered by a Cuckoo Split for choc and barring (I think). We will see what I get. I had some choc pullets and no cockerel so thought I would give cuckoos a shot.... I have so many barred birds I might as well add some wyandotts. LOL

I am also going to set up a surprise pen tomorrow. CAN'T wait to get them going. Super excited to add the color to my dotts.... might even sell off my SLW and BLRW when I get these going.

I have some SLW and GLW chicks that are about 4-5 day old and are already getting some wing feathers.

I am wondering if because this chicks wings are more pointed if that means it could be a roo? I am hoping and praying that it's a pullet though, and if it is a roo once he/she is grown, I am stumped because he/she sleeps with me all the time and is a very mild mannered chick?!

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone remembers me posting on this thread with my GLW cockerel, but he has since grown a lot and is my 2nd best rooster ever.
Previously:

And now:

He is also the proud papa to 3 chicks, the oldest being his 6 week old "Wyanlorp" (Wyandotte x Australorp) son!

I have some SLW and GLW chicks that are about 4-5 day old and are already getting some wing feathers.

I am wondering if because this chicks wings are more pointed if that means it could be a roo? I am hoping and praying that it's a pullet though, and if it is a roo once he/she is grown, I am stumped because he/she sleeps with me all the time and is a very mild mannered chick?!

I don't think that means anything. :idunno

@cluckcluckgirl fun to see how much he has changed! Very nice looking rooster.

I have a project pen that I am going to be doing some testing one.  Once I test fertility I will have them available.  I ended up, by dumb luck, with some cuckoo wyandottes... that were also choc.  I have one Choc pullet, one cuckoo, several choc pullets covered by a Cuckoo Split for choc and barring (I think).  We will see what I get.  I had some choc pullets and no cockerel so thought I would give cuckoos a shot.... I have so many barred birds I might as well add some wyandotts.  LOL

I am also going to set up a surprise pen tomorrow.  CAN'T wait to get them going.  Super excited to add the color to my dotts.... might even sell off my SLW and BLRW when I get these going. 
Oh I would love to get some of your BLRW and maybe some of the SLW if you decide to sell them!

I have a question about my Wyandottes. I just got two new baby girls yesterday a Silver Laced and a Blue Laced Red but they have single combs. I didnt think a single/straight comb was a trait of Wyandottes I thought they were all rose combed? My 11 week old cockrel has a lovely rose comb but these two pullets dont.
Edit* Upon further inspection they do have the rose comb but they are flat on their heads so it was difficult to tell until I was able to work with them today. Still curious about the straight/single comb factor though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom