The Wyandotte Thread

0.jpg

Beautiful! Do their colors change a lot after they molt?

Beautiful! Do their colors change a lot after they molt?

They certainly do. They usually start with a lot of white, that disappears when they grow older. But then, with every molt, they become whiter and whiter.
This young cockerel is becoming more red and less white every week.

In standard wyandottes i have a pair of golden laced, 2 pairs of silver laced, and a trio of columbian. In bantam wyandottes i have a pair of buff, a blue laced red rooster, A partridge hen, a black hen, a pair of creele, and a trio of barreds. Ill try to get some pictures sometime.

Hi everyone! New chicken owner here! I hatched out chicks on 6/3 and I am STILL trying to figure out breed and sex. I have narrowed down three chicks to a Wyandotte/Barred Rock Mix. Hen was a Wyandotte and Rooster was the Barred Rock. Here are my chicks.

Luna on the right

front of Luna (yellow legs)

Wishbone in the middle (has white legs)

Eclipes on the left (yellow legs)

What is normal for wyandotte eggs size wise? 1/2 our eggs just jumped from 2" long and 5" around to 2.5" long and 5.5" around... a very large difference. They were a medium sized egg, now it looks like super jumbo. Is that normal or are we getting unusually large eggs? They have been laying for 3.5 weeks give or take.

What is normal for wyandotte eggs size wise? 1/2 our eggs just jumped from 2" long and 5" around to 2.5" long and 5.5" around... a very large difference. They were a medium sized egg, now it looks like super jumbo. Is that normal or are we getting unusually large eggs? They have been laying for 3.5 weeks give or take.

OUCH! My Wyandottes aren't laying yet but my RSLs lay eggs that size. They complain about it every morning.

OUCH!  My Wyandottes aren't laying yet but my RSLs lay eggs that size.  They complain about it every morning.

There have been 3 so far. 2 were two days apart, but thended they were back to back. Have seen a single hen lay 2 days in a row, so I'm guessing 2 of them laid turkey eggs.

We gave them a watermelon over several days, maybe that is the secret ingredient!

Hi all! Question for you: I recently picked up a couple of GLW's from a backyard breeder. They're hatchery chicks, approx 12 weeks old though I think they may be younger. They both have white specks on their head, not sure what they are. They appear to be part of the feather, i.e., not a parasite. Any ideas on what the specks are? Hoping they'll go away once they get older...otherwise they're sweet little girls!! (Hoping I'm posting in the right spot... first time posting.

Hi all! Question for you: I recently picked up a couple of GLW's from a backyard breeder. They're hatchery chicks, approx 12 weeks old though I think they may be younger. They both have white specks on their head, not sure what they are. They appear to be part of the feather, i.e., not a parasite. Any ideas on what the specks are? Hoping they'll go away once they get older...otherwise they're sweet little girls!! (Hoping I'm posting in the right spot... first time posting.

Those are new feathers coming in. The white part is the feather husk.

Back
Top Bottom