The Wyandotte Thread

I know no one has commented on this thread in 2 years lol but I'm new to this chicken thing and wanted to show my babies! and if you wanna help sex them for me, that'd be great! :)
View attachment 1078938View attachment 1078939View attachment 1078940
I would say they are girls as it seems they would have a lot more comb./waddle development at that age. I have a friend that has 3 boys in his flock of eight " girls" but I haven't said anything about it. What do ya say @junebuggena

Hello All. Long time reader of BYC and thought I would finally register and write something about my favorite breed of chickens, Wyandottes.
First off I will tell you that I currently do have a few wyandotte bantams, and when I say a few, I say that with a heavy heart. We had a pretty severe drought in Texas this last spring and summer, because of that, in my opinion, we were bombarded with varmits at our ranch. Trapped numerous very large Coons(biggest close to 40 lbs) and a couple of skunks. My father(my partner in crime) and I lost the great majority of the wyandotte bantams that we had been raising for the last 15 years. I now only have 5 Silver Pencilled and 2 White Laced Red bantams left, which is a significant drop from the 200 or so we have had in the past few years. A true disappointment to say the least for so many years of work with Wyandottes. We are going to try and rebound this year if we can to build our numbers back up a little but its hard to carry on after losing in my mind the best flock of Silver Pencilled Wyandottes in the country. Enough of the sob story haha. It is great to come on here and see so many people excited about Wyandottes Large and Bantam.
I have raised chickens for just about all my life and can say that I have raised at least a 100 different varieties but Wyandottes are and always will be my favorites. I have raised hatchery stock, private breeder stock and have had good birds from both. In Large Fowl I have raised GL, SL and Silver Pencilled. In bantams I have raised GL, SL, BLR, WLR, Buff, Black, White, Blue, Splash, Chocolate(Dun), Lilac(Splash version from Dun), SP, Partridge, Columbian, Buff Columbian and a couple creations of my own Dun Laced Gold and Dun Pencilled. There are good and bad with each variety. The Blacks, Whites and Partridges are definetely the best in quality of all the bantams and good stock is readily available around the country. Blue, Buff, SL, Columbian are a little more rare but good breeders can be found, the Silver Laced have really improved in quality in the last 10 years I think. Golden Laced, have seen and owned some pretty good birds but always seem to be a bit large and always, always suffer from shafting in the lacing of their feathers. Silver Pencilled, not many breeders. I got my start from the Bakers, Urchs and the late James Harris. They were very good quality birds to start my own bloodline from, each bringing their good traits to the breeding pen. The Baker and Urch birds had great size and feather quality, while the birds from Harris were exceptional in their markings, they really LOOKED like SP should. White Laced Red, very rare. Exceptional birds in their vigor and egg laying ability but their markings were lacking. Most of my breeding emphasis was to improve that and I had succeeded to a degree by crossing with Golden Laced to bring in the dark color from the GL. Dun, I had a long time ago and can be really great in type because you can cross with the very good Blacks to get such great type, just like you can to improve the Blues. For those of you on here that have talked about crossing the bantam Dun with LF Black, it sounds like a great idea. If you cant get it to happen naturally, you can always artificially insemenate. I had accidentally gotten a cross between LF and Bantam SP a few years back and they produced some absolutely lovely birds that had so much vigor with them also.
To those of you on here that have posted pics, you have some great looking Wyandottes. Especially Katy, Wow! You have as good of LF Silver Laced as I have ever seen. They are exceptional.
Love seeing all the BLR, never owned any of the LF but they are striking in apprearance.
My future, well it depends on whether or not I can repair our breeding pens from the immense damage that was done to them( Coons climbed on roof and pulled back the sheet metal to drop 10 ft down into the pens!) My hope is I can aquire some high quality partridge females to cross with my two remaining decent SP cockerels to start working them back towards good pencilling and type. Of course the varmits didnt take the junky culls, they took all of the keepers, just like they always do! For the White Laced Red, I would have to acquire some GL to cross back into them to start them back up also. We shall see what the future holds.
Thanks to everyone for listening and please feel free to ask any questions of me about Wyandottes. I love talking about them and will freely admit I am a chicken nerd and have been all my life. I can blame it on my father having a cardboard box of baby chicks in my room when I was 3!!
Thanks for sharing.....I was looking at a photo of a partridge pullet from James Harris - what a beautiful girl! .....http://bantamclub.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1355

I know this thread isnt really active any more but if anyone still follows it...
Could someone thats good with colours help here...
I have a few sex linked GLW hens (gold roo over a silver hen, both pure colour lines)
If I got a GLW roo to breed to the sex link hens would they breed pure GLW chicks or would there be silver in them or would it just be a mess.
Thanks for any help

I know this thread isnt really active any more but if anyone still follows it...
Could someone thats good with colours help here...
I have a few sex linked GLW hens (gold roo over a silver hen, both pure colour lines)
If I got a GLW roo to breed to the sex link hens would they breed pure GLW chicks or would there be silver in them or would it just be a mess.
Thanks for any help
That's a good question and one I don't know the answer too. Perhaps @sourland would know?

Back
Top Bottom