The Wyandotte Thread

If you want to see a picture of a Violet laced Wyandotte there is a picture of one on Feathersite in the Wyandotte section.
smile.png

today's pix of my blrw flock
7568_img_5409.jpg
7568_img_5398.jpg
7568_img_5396.jpg
7568_img_5412.jpg
7568_img_5408.jpg
3 roos Lucas who is 2yr old,then Larry who is 7m and LLoyd who is 5m and the 4 girls not named yet today before the storm

Last edited:
I was out in my mini barn doing chores today and brought my camera along. Here's my Foley rooster.

24335_duck_moving_day_023.jpg

24335_duck_moving_day_025.jpg

And here's my Foley's hen. The lighting stinks in the mini barn. These pictures just don't do them justice!

24335_duck_moving_day_027.jpg

And here's another little hen. She was hatched back in July. I believe she's out of Mike Sayre's bloodline. She's a bit timid.

24335_duck_moving_day_034.jpg

Laurie

Last edited:
I have 7 new hatchlings and I am wondering how to tell males from females at this young age, well now they are about 4 weeks old, but it looks like I have 5 males and 2 females. All the males have long tails and the females have short tails, is this a good way to tell?

61023_sam_0804.jpg

ALSO- I have 4 BLRW Bantams and now I am thinking they are ALL boys! I just can't tell!
sad.png

Quote:
I have a difficult time determining sex on my wyandottes early, but in general, pullets will tend to feather out quicker, so the opposite may be true in your case.

Quote:
I can start to sex my wyandottes at around 4 weeks or so. The roosters combs start to redden, and their wattles come down. If you put 2 birds together you can see the difference. Hens combs stay beige for a long time and their wattles dont enlarge or turn red for a longer time as well. And, you can start to see the juvenile feathers changing. If they are getting laced feathers all over the body, then its a girl. If they have solid red feathers on the back, it is a boy.

Lastly, I look for the pointy hackle & pointy lower saddle feathers, they are a sure sign of a cockerel.

Sue

Back
Top Bottom