The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
lau.gif

Had a bad weekend around here, after working birds in from Paul's and Superior then breeding them under foleys and raising the relacements, making all the culls and selecting hard for a few generations, the neighbors dog took out all of our BLR pullets that had just started laying, at least we still had the cockrell. We sent him to friend to put over some pullets we sold here in exchange for youngsters this fall. It looks like we are out of BLR for another year.
At least we still have our columbians though, they are even harder to find than the BLR and I doubt we would have ever been able to replace them.

I will admit, I ws more than a little upset, after a few years of work on these birds, and countless bags of feed and culls to finally feel like I was getting somewhere was nice.
Had a chat with the neighbor the dog will not be an issue for us anymore.

My favorite breed topic!

FWIW, I'm interested in obtaining good quality (not hatchery -- trying to improve what's in the backyard) SLW (possibly Golden) hatching eggs. Been keeping my eye on various sources, but good SLWs are hard to find! I'd prefer not to have to bid on auctions, I prefer an outright transaction. Happy to pay via PayPal, etc.

Quote:
Wow...sorry to hear about your bad luck with the dog. If you are going to Columbus or Crossroads this fall I can try and fix you up with a nice trio or pair of BLRW...it is disapointing to put all that time, money and feed in young birds only to loose them. We had a smart coon that was going in the barn and plucking black bantam wyandotte chicks one at a time through the wire, we did finally catch him...at first I thought it was a grizzly bear he was so big.

If you ever need any columbian large fowl let me know...Don Monke has some really nice ones, I think he is the president of the wyandotte club now...I should know since I belong, but it has been a long hatching season.

Jerry Foley

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow...sorry to hear about your bad luck with the dog. If you are going to Columbus or Crossroads this fall I can try and fix you up with a nice trio or pair of BLRW...it is disapointing to put all that time, money and feed in young birds only to loose them. We had a smart coon that was going in the barn and plucking black bantam wyandotte chicks one at a time through the wire, we did finally catch him...at first I thought it was a grizzly bear he was so big.

I can relate to that we live very near a lake and coons are a big problem, we keep 6 live traps out. My Rotts usually keep everything away but they were in the house as it was 100+. I shoul dhave some young birds from my cockrell and the four pullets that made all but the last cut later this fall, I do appreciate the offer though. are you going to make Shawnee this year?

Back
Top Bottom