The Wyandotte Thread

NO! Not an egg eatter...that is worse!
I'd rather them go broody. I found out I have an egg eater! No wonder I wasn't getting eggs for months in 2012!!!
he.gif

Caught the devil in the act! She completely ignored me and proceeded to try to eat ANOTHER egg!
ep.gif

NO! Not an egg eatter...that is worse!
Quote: egg eaters don't stick around here long, if i catch them in the act. well, except my dog. LOL and i just need to put the chicken door in the coop so he won't fit. right now all i have is the big door, and he walks right in. found one of my pink plastic plaster filled eggs in the yard this morning, still wet with slobber (it was 30 degrees and not frozen, so i know it was this morning).

I'm hoping I can break her of it. I am going to try the mustard/ hot sauce in a blown egg and see what happens. Anybody know of other ways if that doesn't work? I don't want to cull her since she is one of my good breeders... so she better get her act together soon!

I have the same problem with my dog. I forget she is out with me and she sneaks into my main coop and snatches eggs. She ate 18 eggs in one sitting once! Thankfully they are just the laying flock but she is always dieing to get an egg.

I know for horses, we use "No Chew", which tastes nasty or use dish soap. Hope she didn't teach anyone else to do that. I had one hen years ago, that did that and then taught her buddy to do the same. We ended up giving them away.
I'm hoping I can break her of it. I am going to try the mustard/ hot sauce in a blown egg and see what happens. Anybody know of other ways if that doesn't work? I don't want to cull her since she is one of my good breeders... so she better get her act together soon!

I have the same problem with my dog. I forget she is out with me and she sneaks into my main coop and snatches eggs. She ate 18 eggs in one sitting once! Thankfully they are just the laying flock but she is always dieing to get an egg.

That sounds like a good idea. I don't think she has taught anyone else... When she breaks an egg open the others will eat it with her but none will just go break an egg. Hopefully I don't have to get rid of her.

the problem is, birds don't have a very good sense of smell/taste, so usually the stronger the better. my macaw ADORES those super hot dried red peppers. i get near them my eyes start watering LOL. maybe give her some wooden or plaster-filled easter eggs. something indestructible.

another alternative is to go with the slanted bottom nest boxes that catch eggs and roll them to safety.

Don't know if chickens are like cows ....move them for a month and they forget where they were before. Move them back and it's like a whole new world...lol.
might try putting her in a pen by herself...surely she won't eat her own eggs...I use ceramic eggs and golf balls with the pullets to encourage laying in the nest boxes. Does she know the difference between real and fake eggs?

Plaster is a very good idea. I didn't know they couldn't really taste anything or not care about the taste lol. Sadly I don't think I can modifiy my coop box to drop the eggs.
I think I'll move her just so the others don't get any ideas. I think she does eat her own eggs because there were 3 in the box when I first checked then came back to none with her eating a broken egg
idunno.gif
. I don't know what compress her to eat the eggs.... She lives in the biggest enclosure and they always have plenty of food. Maybe moving her will make her occupied and forget about eating eggs. I know if I do that then put her back she won't have time to think about eating eggs with my rooster Copernicus bothering her 24/7.

Hi Everyone! I haven't been around on BYC for awhile but I'm glad to see the Wyandotte Thread is as strong as ever!

I have been working on Golden Laced for a while but I have decided to focus on Partridge and Silver Pencilled. That means I've still got a few nice GL (3 Pullets, 1 cockerel, 1 Adult Pair) and a few SL to go with (4 SL hens). Some of you may remember my post from last fall with some rather immature pics. Well, you'll be glad you waited because they only got better :) Lots better...

The whole lot has to go, so someone help me out and make a visit to Indiana :) Swap meet season is coming up soon :)

Here are a few pics:

Old Male

Pullet

Old Females

2 year old female

Cockerel

Back
Top Bottom