The Wyandotte Thread

Hi everyone. I'm hoping some of you current wyandotte owners can give me your opinion on what the sex of these two may be. They are not SQ, I picked them up at TSC to keep some other chicks company. They are GLW. I am hatching out some BLRW in April and am excited about that. Can they be feather sexes at all? I have never owned the breed before and appreciate any info you have. Thanks. These two are four weeks old. I'm not keeping them, but a friend was hoping for one if it is a girl. A little worried they seem to be getting slight waddles.

They both look like pullets to me!

They both look like pullets to me!
Thank you. And BTW, your girls make me
droolin.gif
Beautiful

Last edited:
I was over the MOON today! I candled and EVERY SINGLE EGG I SET IS FERTILE! 9 more SLW egg developing
woot.gif

wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Just for the record that is 19 eggs
woot.gif
I am right there with you! I candled a couple of days ago and I have 41 out of 42... blrw's though out of my own flock. I can't wait till next wk..CHICKY CENTRAL!!!
wee.gif

LET SPRING BEGIN!!!!
jumpy.gif

I am right there with you! I candled a couple of days ago and I have 41 out of 42... blrw's though out of my own flock. I can't wait till next wk..CHICKY CENTRAL!!!
wee.gif

LET SPRING BEGIN!!!!
jumpy.gif
Wow you both are heading toward awesome hatches. I hope I have the same luck.

Could you please explain what exactly you are looking at that identifies them as pullets? I have become very confused by the different explanations I have heard.
I can usually tell the sex of my wyandottes at 2-3 weeks of age. Usually the boys combs become super red compared to the females dull orange. Also a great indicator is how quickly they feather out. Females feather out very quickly compared to males. I have had males 2 months old and still have fuzzy butts!

In this picture the baby on the bottom left is a cockerel and the two near the top pullets. As you can see the boy is still fuzzy compared to the feathered out pullets. In this photo they are about 6-8 weeks old I think.

Here are the same babies a bit older. Here you can see the comb and wattle difference between them.

Here is another example of a young cockerel who hasn't feathered out yet.

2-3 week old cockerel. Bright red comb and wattles are a dead give away.

Here is a pullet who is about a week older than the cockerel. Her comb is still a orange color with tiny wattles.

Last edited:
So, my little little slw that was supposed to be show quality, full size and female, not only is hatchery quality, 2/3 size and possibly male, but now has a bunch of goldy-brown color coming through, so not even pure slw. Man, I got had lol. But I love her :)

I can usually tell the sex of my wyandottes at 2-3 weeks of age. Usually the boys combs become super red compared to the females dull orange. Also a great indicator is how quickly they feather out. Females feather out very quickly compared to males. I have had males 2 months old and still have fuzzy butts! In this picture the baby on the bottom left is a cockerel and the two near the top pullets. As you can see the boy is still fuzzy compared to the feathered out pullets. In this photo they are about 6-8 weeks old I think. Here are the same babies a bit older. Here you can see the comb and wattle difference between them. Here is another example of a young cockerel who hasn't feathered out yet. 2-3 week old cockerel. Bright red comb and wattles are a dead give away. Here is a pullet who is about a week older than the cockerel. Her comb is still a orange color with tiny wattles.
Thank you! This helps. Most of mine are on the verge of color, I think. The only one obvious is my splash roo, who is a week older. He is red. The pullets (I think) all have tails, most are full. The ones I think are Roos, have a huge difference in feathering, and have almost no tail. Another week should prove one way or the other, but thank you! Knowing what to look for makes it easier.

So, my little little slw that was supposed to be show quality, full size and female, not only is hatchery quality, 2/3 size and possibly male, but now has a bunch of goldy-brown color coming through, so not even pure slw. Man, I got had lol. But I love her
smile.png

HIM
hide.gif

Next time ask what shows they won.... county fairs or state fairs..... steer clear. I saw an ad locally on CL for SQ RIR. The roo was clearly hatchery and she didn't have any RIR hens so what was she selling as SQ chicks....... mutts.

Back
Top Bottom