The Wyandotte Thread

Can someone answer a question for me? When breeding gold laced Wyandottes, should a hen with "mossy" feathers be excluded from the breeding pen? I have nice hen whose body is nice and wide, but her lacing isn't crisp. Will that pass to her chicks or will a nicely laced rooster clean it up?

Okay, that was two questions
hide.gif
but I'd appreciate any input. I want to breed as close to the standard as I can, but have very few hens to work with right now.
Depends on the age of the pullet too..some mossy color will moult out in the first adult moult.

One question I often stumble on is what is the ideal texture for a rose comb? Here's 4 pictures of different males and their comb textures. From what I understand the texture of #2 is the ideal? Or should there be bumps along the "frame" of the comb and smooth in the middle? Any input is greatly appreciated!

(I know #4 has a triple leader and it is a defect. Also that the folding in front of the beak is not preferred just focusing on texture in these photos.)

Number two looks like it has a few leaders to me, but it might be my computer. I don't like any of them but 2 seems to be the best choice.

The comb should be a solid, broad and nearly flat comb on top. It is a low, fleshly comb that concludes in a well-developed tapering spike at the back contouring and following the contour of the head. The top surface of the main part should be slightly convex , but free from hollow center and studded with small rounded protuberances.
In the book they have only drawings. It is hard to breed the perfect rose comb.

Hi! I'm new to this chicken thing and we're starting our flock in October! I want to get a few EE's and a couple of Wyandottes but I'm wondering if the Wyandottes will be significantly larger than the EE's and if they'll beat up on the EE's. Anyone have any experience with those two breeds together?

My dad had Wyandottes as a kid and loved them better than the RIR's and Leghorns...they're so BEAUTIFUL! Plus I'd love the brown mixed in with the tinted eggs!

Thanks for any help anyone can give!!

Hi! I'm new to this chicken thing and we're starting our flock in October! I want to get a few EE's and a couple of Wyandottes but I'm wondering if the Wyandottes will be significantly larger than the EE's and if they'll beat up on the EE's. Anyone have any experience with those two breeds together?

My dad had Wyandottes as a kid and loved them better than the RIR's and Leghorns...they're so BEAUTIFUL! Plus I'd love the brown mixed in with the tinted eggs!

I have both..and no..I do not have problems with any one beating up on anyone. I have cockerels in both breeds that Free Range together. The only aggressive bird I have is a tiny little silkie. He spends all day trying to challenge all the males and breed all the females. They just ignore him for the most part. Once in a while an older hen will poke him a few times to calm him down. He has lost a few head feathers to my mature rooster when he will not take a hint.

Size depends on where you get the birds..
If you purchase hatchery birds.the dotties will be around 5lbs and the AM's will be around 4.

Heritage Dotties will be 8 and AM's will be 6...(give or take for sex and age)

Last edited:

I have both breeds but the EE's I have are crossed to Wyandotte so they're a little bulkier. I did get a couple EE's from the feed store early this year and they're noticeably smaller than the others, same diet and everything(they also lay brown eggs :( ). My Wyandotte roo's have always been pretty calm and good with the other boys, I have continually had trouble with EE roos though, they always seem to get aggressive with the hens or someone(people) so I can't keep them for long... main reason my older EE's are crossed to Wyandotte.

I agree, I free range everyone together when I can, and the only 'problem' boys I have are the teenaged bantam cochins who thing that anything that moves is fair game, including each other!
ep.gif

my dottes, while definitely in the minority, are very easy going and get along well.

I would ask though, are you getting chicks or adults? that may make a bit of difference as to how you socialize them... if they're under 6 weeks old, toss em together and let them sort out their differences. won't take long. LOL if they're over 2 months old, it may take a bit more introduction but still not a big deal unless someone's a bully. bullies get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom