The Wyandotte Thread

I agree, I free range everyone together when I can, and the only 'problem' boys I have are the teenaged bantam cochins who thing that anything that moves is fair game, including each other! :eek:

my dottes, while definitely in the minority, are very easy going and get along well.

I would ask though, are you getting chicks or adults?  that may make a bit of difference as to how you socialize them...  if they're under 6 weeks old, toss em together and let them sort out their differences. won't take long. LOL  if they're over 2 months old, it may take a bit more introduction but still not a big deal unless someone's a bully.  bullies get eaten.

They'll all be 1-2 weeks old from the feed store (they buy from hatcheries), so surely growing up together they'll be ok!! I just think both breeds (if EE is a breed) are so unique! So excited!!

This guys comb is a decent example, right? Although it does have somewhat of a ridge up the center.

The hen is not full Wyandotte. Also, I no longer have these two birds.
This is not an ideal comb..

i would not mind it in my flock..I certainly would not cull for it at this time in my flock.. however it is not what will get points in a show and not what is in the SOP. After I get nice round birds with good color I will worry about the perfect comb. I do cull for DQ in combs. l like the profile on this bird..nice fierce masculine look. Nice length on the beak.

In the spring I had lunch with the girls and had some wine. I've always wanted chickens, so under the influence, I bought lovely gold laced Wyandottes

Continued: I named them Merlot, Cabernet, etc. I love those beautiful birds and had no idea how much fun they would be! Well, I have a raccoon problem and one night a couple weeks ago I heard the nasty ruckus and chickens were scattered all over the neighborhood, but still alive! I fortified the coop! Last night I heard the screaming but I turned on the car alarm from my bed ( who knew you could do that?) and scared the coon away. He came back, so I went out and hosed him off. The birds were fine and guess what.. They laid their first two eggs today! Scared it right out of them !!

Continued: I named them Merlot, Cabernet, etc. I love those beautiful birds and had no idea how much fun they would be! Well, I have a raccoon problem and one night a couple weeks ago I heard the nasty ruckus and chickens were scattered all over the neighborhood, but still alive! I fortified the coop! Last night I heard the screaming but I turned on the car alarm from my bed ( who knew you could do that?) and scared the coon away. He came back, so I went out and hosed him off. The birds were fine and guess what.. They laid their first two eggs today! Scared it right out of them !!
If the coon keeps returning, put a light on out there and wait for it, then blow his brains out with a 45 like I did!

TO CyndiChick: You might get some decent Wyandottes at Urch-Turnlund in MN.....They have a web site and the chicks are really reasonable.....Should be better than hatchery since Mr Urch is a renowned breeder and poultryman.......There was/is? a breeder in Muscatine, IA, Herbert Holz, who sold good Wyandottes....Take care..

Back
Top Bottom