The Wyandotte Thread

None of the chicks are showing comb development typical of a cockerel, but that is not unusual for 6 week olds. Feathers on the saddles just before the tails are rounded for pullets and slightly pointed for cockerels. Also a cockerel will have bigger feet than a pullet and will have an obvious button for a spur on the legs. Some pullets will also have that button so don't let that be a determining factor. May have to give them a few more weeks...#4 may be a sleeper cockerel....if there is one.

my chickies have gotten a bit older so im back for another opinion if nobody minds.... these guy were ordered straight run and are 6 weeks old. any idea on gender? im not good with wyandotte genders
hu.gif
hope you wyandotte experts can help! if you need different angles, just ask =)

1&2

3&4

3&4 again since i may keep these if they are female

I honestly have no clue. But maybe you could add a squirt of the Mio Energy water enhancer to their water? I use it all the time for myself so I could have just the right amount of caffeine without having to drink soda. ( I hate coffee ) I don't have a bottle on me to check ingredients but I think it's mostly just caffeine and b vitamins with flavoring.
I fill a small waterer with Gatorade for mine on the HOT days. They love it!

Just took a few pictures tonight when i went to take pics of the babies. These are a couple pullets from my last hatch from the big birds. the one that's eating is pretty slender so im not sure yet if I'll keep her, but maybe just for eggs. They're TOTALLY bonded.

My big roo :) with a 'leaky' hen.

and two of the girls that are brooding, hopefully get a few nice wyandotte chicks but everyone's mixed up right now so will be some mutts too.

Can someone answer a question for me? When breeding gold laced Wyandottes, should a hen with "mossy" feathers be excluded from the breeding pen? I have nice hen whose body is nice and wide, but her lacing isn't crisp. Will that pass to her chicks or will a nicely laced rooster clean it up?

Okay, that was two questions
hide.gif
but I'd appreciate any input. I want to breed as close to the standard as I can, but have very few hens to work with right now.

Can someone answer a question for me? When breeding gold laced Wyandottes, should a hen with "mossy" feathers be excluded from the breeding pen? I have nice hen whose body is nice and wide, but her lacing isn't crisp. Will that pass to her chicks or will a nicely laced rooster clean it up?

Okay, that was two questions
hide.gif
but I'd appreciate any input. I want to breed as close to the standard as I can, but have very few hens to work with right now.
breed for type first, worry about fine tuning color later.

Okay, that was two questions :oops: but I'd appreciate any input.  I want to breed as close to the standard as I can, but have very few hens to work with right now.

breed for type first, worry about fine tuning color later.

X2. Get your type set first and then color can follow. As the old timers say "build the barn before you paint it".

And yes, a good colored rooster companion mated over your hen will produce some chicks with good lacing. Cull hard.

Back
Top Bottom