The Wyandotte Thread

A yellow leg can be brought back to the slate legged Blue and Black. You pick those that have obvious yellow under the black/slate (dusky yellow) and cull for the yellow. It takes many chicks and hard culling.
I had used a Blue hen with great type with slate/yellow legs under a Columbian Wyandotte rooster to get a Blue Columbian. By breeding the father to his best type daughters with dusky yellow and yellow legs, Im getting some Black and Blue and Blur Columbian juveniles with yellow legs.

Last edited:
X2...Lots of culling!

A yellow leg can be brought back to the slate legged Blue and Black. You pick those that have obvious yellow under the black/slate (dusky yellow) and cull for the yellow. It takes many chicks and hard culling.
I had used a Blue hen with great type with slate/yellow legs under a Columbian Wyandotte rooster to get a Blue Columbian. By breeding the father to his best type daughters with dusky yellow and yellow legs, Im getting some Black and Blue and Blur Columbian juveniles with yellow legs.

Sorry I'm so late in replying to you guys...things have been kinda crazy around here.

Could you post a picture?

Sure. Will need my hubby's help though, I'm kinda computer illiterate when it comes to moving the pics to the computer, lol! I'll have to wait until he gets the time to help me with it, but will get pics up as soon as I can. I got some answers from the people I quoted below, but with putting pics up, this way you guys can see what I'm talking about.
smile.png

I just hope the pics come out well, as my camera conked out on me, so I'll have to use my cell phone. It's a new phone, so I don't know how well the pics come out on it.

It is most likely that the Columbians you have feathering in faster are going to be pullets, cockerels are notoriously slow feathering in many Wyandotte varieties. And yes not all varieties are going to feather out at the same speed. Just because they are all Wyandottes does not mean that they all have the exact same makeup in their genetic background.
Hope this helps you out and I don't need a picture to figure this out either :)
John

Yes, that does help a lot! That's what I was figuring too...that the Columbians had something in their genetic makeup that had them feathering out faster than the Blues. I have 4 Columbians and 5 Blues. 2 of the Columbians are feathering out faster than the other 2 Columbians. The other 2 Columbians are showing other signs that they're cockerels as well, so I think I have 2 pullets and 2 cockerels. Time will show things better though. The Blues are feathering in so slow that it's hard telling right now. One is larger than the others and showing other signs of being a cockerel, so I'm pretty sure I'm right on that one. The other 4 I'm stumped on for now...time will tell though. Thank you so much for your reply!
smile.png

yes, some colors will feather faster or slower than others. it depends on whether the slow feathering gene is present... I've got a 5-6 week old blrw cockerel that looks like someone plucked him practically. a large portion of him is still only covered by baby fuzz, while his hatchmates are fully feathered already (different breeds).

Thank you! That's what I thought. You guys helped prove that my thoughts were correct. This is one of the many reasons why I love BYC!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I want to get more GLW's out of them, they won't look mixed or nothing will they?

I was sent to Rudy Troxel, was said to have some of the best Wyandottes. This is what he told me in an email,

"Get your hands on a decent/good male and cross him on Silver Females. That's the easiest way to get good ones. I'm sure someone down your way has good SL and you can probably come up with at least a male GL somewhere relatively local. You'll have good females in the first generation and good males in the second."

Question about the leg coloring:
Will a birds leg color 'develop' more over time-as they mature, or are they born with the color intensity they are going to have? Thank you all for the awesome information of this breed. Always so much to learn!
big_smile.png

I just lost all three of my Wyandottes to a huge racoon. I had a gold and two silvers. I have since upped security in the hen house. I am enjoying everyone's pictures and I hope to get a few more in the near future!

I just lost all three of my Wyandottes to a huge racoon. I had a gold and two silvers. I have since upped security in the hen house. I am enjoying everyone's pictures and I hope to get a few more in the near future!

This may have been asked before, but do wyandottes grow more slowly than other breeds? I have BO and RIR chicks that are about 1-2 weeks older than my SLW but are quadruple the size. She is just over 3 weeks old and is still mostly down with a few big feathers on her wings. Any thoughts?

I am so sorry for your loss. Right now I live in the "country". Like 20 minutes to town, but we still have raccoons and Coyotes and I'm sure someday they will get curious. How did they "breach the perimeter" ? I'm also going to be moving to a much more dangerous location where I'll add wolves, cats (the big variety) and bears, to the list of suspects. What precautions does anyone recommend for Chickie protection?
And on a side note, does bear pepper spray negatively affect chickens? If I sprayed in defense will it affect their sensitive respiratory systems?

Back
Top Bottom