The Wyandotte Thread

This is a pic of the sliver laced dottes I got from chickenhill this summer. I'm so in love!
It is so fun to see the chicks from here grow out. Happy to see you like them :) Sometimes when I am out there mucking out pens I chew on my self for having so many birds. Then I see a post like yours and it makes it all worth while. Great inspiration, better go muck some pens :)

i went out this morn to let the birds out and noticed one had a egg membrain hanging out her vent ..it took a little to catch her put i pulled it out ..it felt like it had egg white in it but no yoke ..i am hoping shes ok ..shes my biggest bird..i had one with a prolapsed vent that we got pushed back in when they were little ..i dont no if this is the same bird or not ..i have 11 wyandottes and it seems like they are all laying ..i didnt see any shell attached to the membrain but i didnt reach in side to check ..anyone ever had anything like this happen before ..and do you think its something to worry about ..should i give more oyster shells ..any help would be great ..thanks ..

i went out this morn to let the birds out and noticed one had a egg membrain hanging out her vent ..it took a little to catch her put i pulled it out ..it felt like it had egg white in it but no yoke ..i am hoping shes ok ..shes my biggest bird..i had one with a prolapsed vent that we got pushed back in when they were little ..i dont no if this is the same bird or not ..i have 11 wyandottes and it seems like they are all laying ..i didnt see any shell attached to the membrain but i didnt reach in side to check ..anyone ever had anything like this happen before ..and do you think its something to worry about ..should i give more oyster shells ..any help would be great ..thanks ..

I had that happen this spring to a Cochin...it hasn't happened to her again... she has been just fine.

Definitely make sure they have some oyster shell at all times.

I had that happen this spring to a Cochin...it hasn't happened to her again... she has been just fine.

Definitely make sure they have some oyster shell at all times.
thanks for replying ..i didnt notice anything this morning ..so i am hoping its just a one time event ..i'll keep an eye on her anyways...she may not be laying every day ...thanks again ..

Here are my BLRW'S,,,2 hens and 1 rooster

13066_img_2292.jpg

13066_img_2265.jpg

13066_img_2293.jpg
I have the same chicken with yellow legs. What color is her eggs if she's laying?

Ziggy came in for some warmth & attention the other night. She is our gentle giant who has stepped into the role of calm leader of our backyard flock. When she was a baby, she was a complete drama queen, freaking out over every little thing! She was so random & reactive to every stimuli. We used to speculate on who would become head hen, and I always said "If it turns out to be Ziggy, they're all doomed." She has matured into quite the gentle, level headed lady, though. We are all glad the flock has chosen Ziggy to be their boss. If any member of her flock gets rowdy with another (chicken, cat, dog; whatever), Ziggy places herself between them & won't back down until the instigator cools off & walks away. She doesn't even assert herself by pecking, as most bossy chickens will. She is very beautiful & dignified now. I love this 2nd pic, because it looks like our Pomeranian, Homer, is the big bad wolf plotting her demise. He really was just yawning . Next pic is 6 weeks old, then 5 weeks, then 3 weeks, 2&1/2 weeks posing purty for the camera, 3 days old fallen asleep upside down in my hand, 2 days, and my profile pic is 1 day old little Ziggy telling me she would always be my baby. I love her!

I am new to this breed. So many initials being used. Can someone explain what each set means please? A picture with the name and initials would be so helpful! I Just bought 2 Silver laced chicks today.
SLW- Silver Laced Wyandotte

GLW- Gold Laced Wyandotte

BLRW- Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

(not sure if we have an acronym for columbian or partridge wyandottes yet, do we?)

This is Kirby my 10-12wk old SLW pullet. Not that i really care about her markings (her personality is great!) but is this what she should look like for her age? When I look at pics for what she should look like as an adult, she doesn't quite match. Just curious. Either way, I love her!

This is Kirby my 10-12wk old SLW pullet. Not that i really care about her markings (her personality is great!) but is this what she should look like for her age? When I look at pics for what she should look like as an adult, she doesn't quite match. Just curious. Either way, I love her!

I'm sorry but that sure looks like a cockerel to me...Can you get a closer pick of the back feathers?

Back
Top Bottom