Chocolate Wyandotte Bantam and Black Silkie cross?

Dannkand

Hatching
Apr 1, 2024
Hello! I have some Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams and some Black Silkies. If I cross my chocolate wyandotte roo with the black silkie hen and the black silkie roos with my chocolate Wyandotte hens, will I be able to get Chocolate silkies? I realize they will take more crossing back to black silkies to get away from the wyandotte characteristics.

Chocolate roo to Black hen:
Chocolate pullets and Black split to Chocolate cockerels

Black roo to Chocolate hen:
Black pullets and Black split to Chocolate cockerels

From that cross, you'll get chocolate daughters and black carrying chocolate sons. The chicks won't have silked feathers, but they'll all carry them. When you breed the Wyandotte/Silkie crosses back to Silkies, half the chicks will have silked feathers.

Eventually you could, yes. As you acknowledged, you would need to breed back to Silkies for a few generations to get back to proper Silkie traits. You'll have smooth-feathered offspring in the first generation, but all of them will carry a recessive silkie-feather gene, and they'll likely have smaller crests and beards, and less foot feathering compared to pure Silkies. Also the chocolate gene is sexlinked recessive, so is inherited as so:

Chocolate male x Black female = Black male offspring carrying chocolate and Chocolate female offspring

Black male x Chocolate female = Black male offspring carrying chocolate and Black female offspring

So the females from the Black male x Chocolate female are not very useful for this kind of project, but the rest of them could be.

In your shoes, I'd probably take the chocolate-carrying Black male offspring from either cross and breed them to the Chocolate females from the first cross and to Black Silkie females. You should get a portion of Chocolate-colored and silkie-feathered individuals from that, with which you can continue forward toward better Silkie type.

Back
Top Bottom