The Wyandotte Thread

My mentor tells me the taller rose combs are a sign the bird is carrying the recessive gene for single comb.  I'll be putting that to the test once I have another hen go broody.  I am doing test breedings to single combed sex-link pullets, as the single comb gene is also a simple Mendelian inheritance.  If my cockerel with the taller comb throws half single comb chicks, then that will confirm.

I can save you the time hatching and then having to cull single combed chicks. Your mentor is spot on!
Besides being a sign of recessive single comb, the taller combs also throw chicks that have a more uneven unacceptable comb. There are more sprigs, spikes, extra leaders and inverted DQs.
I had to cull heavily for two years because of monster combs, deformed combs and inverted combs.

Why purposefully breed in a flaw that you will spend years purging unless you enjoy eating a lot of chicken!

Why purposefully breed in a flaw that you will spend years purging unless you enjoy eating a lot of chicken!
I have black sex link pullets I used to test one rooster already, and none of these crossbreed test chicks would end up in the breeder pen. I also take my mentor's single comb culls, regardless of color - Wyandotte cockerels are quite tasty, and her line has better size and meatiness. Since I am also learning caponizing, one of my production goals is to get to a point where I can grow out 12 pound capons for the holidays. One of the reasons I got the green light for a nice big chicken breeding project is hubby very much enjoys homegrown chicken dinners.

I do appreciate your confirmation - especially the pictures of the various comb faults. I'll switch the cockerels around, and hopefully be doing straight-Wyandottes. Murphy's Law is always in effect here, so I'll likely have my broodies camping out in the boxes the next morning after I move the Wyandottes around.
roll.png

I have black sex link pullets I used to test one rooster already, and none of these crossbreed test chicks would end up in the breeder pen.  I also take my mentor's single comb culls, regardless of color - Wyandotte cockerels are quite tasty, and her line has better size and meatiness.  Since I am also learning caponizing, one of my production goals is to get to a point where I can grow out 12 pound capons for the holidays.  One of the reasons I got the green light for a nice big chicken breeding project is hubby very much enjoys homegrown chicken dinners.

I do appreciate your confirmation - especially the pictures of the various comb faults.  I'll switch the cockerels around, and hopefully be doing straight-Wyandottes.  Murphy's Law is always in effect here, so I'll likely have my broodies camping out in the boxes the next morning after I move the Wyandottes around. :rolleyes:  

We have several ladies in Oklahoma that have put on a capoonizing workshop several times. I'm going to have to learn. I too like the Wyandotte cockerels...fried, brined and roasted, crockpot, herbed, etc...great meat birds. Murphy's Law hits here often.

Thank you for the responses. I have heard that you can breed a silver to a gold and they autosex. Ie silver roo over gold hen produces silver pullets and gold cockrels. I didnt know if that rang true or not and also wanted to test that alongside the BLR x Silver cross. And that is interesting about the combs the lady I got my wyandottes came from has single and pea combs so :/ but Laycee's comb isnt abnormal in nature it just became apparent and noticeable very early so I thought she was a cockrel but now she is older I can tell a little easier.

Thank you for the responses. I have heard that you can breed a silver to a gold and they autosex. Ie silver roo over gold hen produces silver pullets and gold cockrels. I didnt know if that rang true or not and also wanted to test that alongside the BLR x Silver cross. And that is interesting about the combs the lady I got my wyandottes came from has single and pea combs so
hmm.png
but Laycee's comb isnt abnormal in nature it just became apparent and noticeable very early so I thought she was a cockrel but now she is older I can tell a little easier.

Your information is backwards. Silver HENS with Gold Roos would be sex linked..... not autosexing. Autosexing breeds true, this cross is a one hit wonder. Wyandottes have rose combs not pea combs.

Okay that does make more sense. I have some cream legbar eggs and they autosex. And I wasnt sure if it was specific or interchangeable. And yes I couldnt remember between Rose comb and pea comb. Thank you for reminding me now I feel kinda silly. :/

Hi! We're first-time chicken raisers with a tiny flock which includes two silver laced Wyandottes. They were sold to us as girl-chicks but I'm not sure if they both are and wanted to get your opinions.

. "Tammy"

"JANE"

. "Tammy"

They're fairly standoffish so it's hard to get good pictures. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
Hi! We're first-time chicken raisers with a tiny flock which includes two silver laced Wyandottes. They were sold to us as girl-chicks but I'm not sure if they both are and wanted to get your opinions.

. "Tammy"

"JANE"

. "Tammy"

They're fairly standoffish so it's hard to get good pictures. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi I have 16 golden laced wyandottes and I kinda new to raising chickens myself lol but I think they are pullets the combs and waddles are pretty small but that all depends on how old they are I'll try to post a pic of my GLW rooster hope I was at least some help best of luck

Nick

The first 2 pictures are of my rooster and the last pic is of 2 of my hens I know not the best picture but like you said they don't like to stand still lol oh and my chickens are about 2 months old

Back
Top Bottom