The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
I think there are alot of Breeders out there that have very nice birds. Check out the auctions, they can give you a bit of a idea. Pictures always help :)
Kathie

Quote:
They are beautiful!
ep.gif
I just love seeing chickens out free ranging!! So peaceful
love.gif
I can't let mine out unless I sit with them since we have Bobcats that come all hours of the day and will steal a chicken even if we are outside working nearby
rant.gif

& I complain about redtail hawks and neighbor's dogs. Nothing compared to your challenges.

I just wish I had resolve to hatch/raise a bunch then sort/cull. No one in my family will eat them but me.

Quote:
I think there are alot of Breeders out there that have very nice birds. Check out the auctions, they can give you a bit of a idea. Pictures always help :)
Kathie

Yes I know they are out there, that's why I was asking WHO, because I can't seem to find them.
smile.png
wink.png
tongue.png

In general, hatchery birds lay better in all breeds because that is what they are bred for. show birds will tend to be a bigger body sized bird (more meat) then the hatchery birds but they will tend to lay for more years. so I'm not sure if others will agree or not, but if you want production like an every day layer, go for the hatchery bird but if your like me and don't like to get rid of your birds every few yrs, stick with birds from good quality breeders. I had a dottie hen laying nearly every day up to 3 yrs old.

Quote:
I agree. Hatchery birds lay better, but in general do not follow the standard very well. My hatchery" Black Ausralorp" looks like a sad cross between a black game and a sexlink
roll.png
But she lays an egg every day

Photos from today
big_smile.png
I spent 2 hours watching "chicken TV"....my fingers are so numb!

Mr. Witmer aka "Brett"
68616_dsc_3033.jpg

68616_dsc_3013.jpg

Amber
68616_dsc_3019.jpg

68616_dsc_3031.jpg

Buckbeak and Amber...BIG isn't she
wink.png

68616_dsc_3070.jpg

Buckbeak and Ghost
68616_dsc_3063.jpg

The group
68616_dsc_3100.jpg

Toothless
68616_dsc_3091.jpg

No one would cooperate with me this afternoon, but here are some pictures of the Wyndottes I got from the Foleys in the fall. There are 1 BLR hen, 2 black Roos, 1 blue roo, 1 blue hen and 1 black hen. They are about 22 weeks old.

51814_chickens_jan_001.jpg

color is off but you can see how big the roo is.
51814_chickens_jan_026.jpg

51814_chickens_jan_014.jpg

this is the smallest roo of three, I have two blacks and a blue
51814_chickens_jan_008.jpg

51814_dsc02204_046.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom