The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
I take paypal...LOL

I put that egg under my permanently broody sl bantam. I'll be darned if it didn't hatch yesterday!

Cool, but what are you going to do with one chick? We are shipping out everythign that hatchs this week and I forgot about the 2 SP bantam eggs..... they are too little to put in the box with the large fowl. I hate to turn on the brooder for 2 chicks
he.gif
Maybe my silkie hen is still sitting.

Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:
I put that egg under my permanently broody sl bantam. I'll be darned if it didn't hatch yesterday!

Cool, but what are you going to do with one chick? We are shipping out everythign that hatchs this week and I forgot about the 2 SP bantam eggs..... they are too little to put in the box with the large fowl. I hate to turn on the brooder for 2 chicks
he.gif
Maybe my silkie hen is still sitting.​

I have the broody and chick in a large dog crate in the laying coop. I'll keep the chick with her for as long as it takes to catch up with the batch in the brooder that I bought from you 3 weeks ago.
Stick those chicks under that silkie! She can earn her feed for the season:cool:

Quote:
he.gif
Maybe my silkie hen is still sitting.

I have the broody and chick in a large dog crate in the laying coop. I'll keep the chick with her for as long as it takes to catch up with the batch in the brooder that I bought from you 3 weeks ago.
Stick those chicks under that silkie! She can earn her feed for the season:cool:

yeah.... we didn't get a single silkie chick this year
hmm.png
Brianna is very upset by that, but I just can't do the AI.... not brave enough.

on a side note.... going to be about 84* here on Wed, cool enough to move some birds through the post office
ya.gif
less birds for me to feed then the shows start in Sept and I am left here alone with the kids and animals.

We so need some rain! I am in the process of planning my flock and I am definitely going to have a few Wyandottes in my group. I spent time and looked at every page and wow what beautiful pictures. The forum seems to be a giant wish list
smile.png
I should have my couple ready in September is that an ok time to start the family or would it be better to wait? In my research it look as though most are out until next year. I just don't want to do anything wrong that I could prevent. Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Quote:
You should be able to find some young started birds from several breeders at assorted area shows thi sfall and winter and save a lot of time in waiting for them to mature and no trouble with chick losses as well. they would at that point ikely be laying come spring. You will also be able to find several other breeds at the shows. All of teh birds at that point will be known to be pure breed and the folks you would be buying from will likely be able to tell yo a great deal about the birds before you make the purchase, a very different experience from a hatchery. At that point you will know the real origin and back ground of yor birds, as well as supporting the breeders who work so hard to keep the birds what they are suposed to be.
Just my two cents.

Hi all - as one of your BIGGEST lurkers on LOL - i have a question. I have and love my bantam rock -BUT i cant seem to get the lovely bantam white wyandotte out of my head. I was wondering what the temperament - foraging - laying level - And the availability out there in the world of nice white bantam stock? Thanks !

Inkheart- I have showed and bred white wyandotte bantams for ages and I have to agree, they are a sight to behold and hard to get out of your head. I have seen some folks here on BYC with decent white wyandotte bantams and I know there are tons of breeders out there that breed them, just look in the poultry press or an old APA/ABA yearbook

Quote:
The white bantams are quite readily available lay as most wyandottes do fairly regular and frequent, great temperment. You should be able to locate some at virtually every poultry show, advertised in teh poultry press and many other locations. they are likely the most common Bantam Wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom