Their laying is coming to an end...

Anna_MN

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 4, 2011
Princeton, MN
My poor girls, the original three, have been having so-so laying habits the past month. I know it's not the weather since it had been decently warm and I spoil them with a heat lamp at night and during the day if it is colder than 30 degrees. I am starting to think about what I will do with the girls when they stop laying for good. I can't bring myself to take them to butcher for stew meat.....but I can't afford/don't want to feed unproductive hens since I have limited space. I am hoping a friend of mine who has "only pet" chickens will take my gold star hen in. My two RIR are mean little buggers so I might send them to freezer camp...What are some creative ways you have gotten rid of your retired hens?

I list mine on Craigslist for free. People snag them up quickly. Or you can take them to a livestock auction where they will be sold.

I've got two older hens that I just can't seem to part with......One is four years old now, and the other is three. Now I try not to get really super attached to them.....But they're so sweet.....It's really difficult.

Alot of people only keep their hens for two years. I get spells where I a group off and then I like to start over with chicks......Keeps me busy.

Sharon

You don't.

You have to understand when you get chickens, that when they retire, you'll have to send them to freezer camp, or keep them as pets. If you sell, them, they will be eaten.

Me, my chickens are pets, and will live with me forever. My 6 year old red sex link still lays 5 eggs a week! Big ones, too!

I have a golden comet that hasn't laid an egg in over a year. My husband says I should get rid of her . He says I'm a farmer and that's what they do. I told him these are pets with benefits and I'm not going to kill her. I call her "menapause" Mac

My older hens are closing in on three years come March. The PR and the Jersey Giant's laying is getting a little sporatic. In your folks' opinion, is chicken menapause about to set into these grand old ladies? I keep going back and forth between getting baby chicks in May to keeping these ladies for another year. They seem to have a few good days of laying, then drop off. My EE lays a large/jumbo egg every other day like clockwork. She is less than a year younger than the pair.

Back
Top Bottom