Their run - how high

doodledo

Crowing
16 Years
Jun 4, 2007
How high does the run have to be? We will have netting of some type on the top. But I wasnt sure how high it should be. I see some pics that they look over 6' then some only 4'. Does it matter?

It depends on if anyone will go into the run or not. If your a hobit or dont mind walking like a duck 3 ft is plenty. If you like standing up straight build to about 6 inches over your height. (I say 6" cause after a while depending on what you use it may sag).

Well, if you can afford it, the higher the better. It makes it more pleasant to be in the run for cleaning and maintenance. A higher fence will also provide a bit more predator protection.
I also surround the perimeter with electric fence. The more barriers you can put up to predators, the better you will sleep at night.

All of our aviary runs are 6 foot high to make it easier to access. You want to consider reseeding, cleaning, tilling, liming, collecting the odd egg that is dropped in there, catching an injured bird, etc. We also get deep snow, so it is important that we can get inside to shovel on occasion. It also provides a nice place for the birds to stretch their wings for smaller, more flighty breeds. Heavy breeds do well in 4 foot too. The higher it is the more fun you can make it for your birds as well. We have wild blueberry bushes in some of our runs, keep them trimmed and let them grow naturally. The birds love to jump and try to pull blueberries off of them. If they can't reach some, we go in and pull the berries and hand feed them. I guess it's just really nice to know they have lots of open space on days they have to be in the run instead of free ranging.

Jody

Here is a pic of my 10x10x6 i the tarp is only on there alone for now till the screen top comes in that i am waiting for..

I'm not finished with it yet i want to attach a wht. picket fence around it too look better and prob. will be adding on later to size...lol

Photo_062207_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom