theoretical question about diet

abdiro

Chirping
Jan 8, 2021
N Y
hi guys i have a questions and system i want to try so i need your open minds and thoughts
1- is 1600 feet square a free range
2- for some one who try to feed the flock that mix : animal proteine (dead sheep or chicken)+white bread+waste food+vegetables+compost is it safe espacily the first aliment
3- that diet will use for plus 1 month chicken (start with normal commurcial food)
4- whats the problems can happened and how can improve that diet
note 1: all that nutrition available i know the commurcial food the most safe and balance
note 2: i dont talk about 10-20 hens i want to use it of 100-200 chicken flock
*thanks*

With that many chickens, you will need commercial chicken feed to keep up. There’s no way you’ll be able to keep up with feeding them from the way you described above.
why so many chickens?

You’ll need a lot more space...but can a balanced diet be fed to 100-200 chickens with a combination of meat, bread, forage, veggies, and compost?

Sure...it’d be a LOT of work, some research into good nutrition, and the inputs would have to be free (or you get paid to take them) to make it cheaper than commercial feed. Also, people who feed this way tend to see 40-50% reduction in egg production from what I’ve read from those doing it.

I feed my 70-75 strong flock probably about half food waste/compost. They also always have layer pellet available (how much they eat ranges).

1- is 1600 feet square a free range
If you want to sell eggs and label them "free range," then you'll have to check whether the government in your country has rules about what free range means.

If there is no official definition, then free range is whatever you choose to have it mean. If you just want personal opinions, I would not consider that amount of space to be free range for any number of chickens.
2- for some one who try to feed the flock that mix : animal proteine (dead sheep or chicken)+white bread+waste food+vegetables+compost is it safe espacily the first aliment
Dead sheep--yes, safe to feed unless it's spoiled

Dead chicken--yes, safe to feed unless it's spoiled or unless the dead chickens had diseases or parasites that your chickens might catch.

The other things--probably safe to feed. Safer if you let the chickens pick over it and make their own choices. Less safe if you grind it all up so they cannot pick and choose.

4- whats the problems can happened and how can improve that diet
Possible problems:
--not enough total food
--not enough protein
--wrong balance of protein/fat/calories/vitamins/minerals
Any of those could cause the chickens to not grow well, not lay well, possibly die

--bad smells
--flies
--rats & mice
--polluted water runoff when it rains
Any of those could make nearby people unhappy, could violate rules so someone might make you get rid of the chickens, and so forth. Some of those can also spread diseases to your chickens, or spread other diseases among people.
(These things happen when compost piles are not managed well, and when food waste is dumped out for chickens to pick through. It can be hard to strike the right balance, so the chickens have enough choice to partly balance their own diet but the leftovers don't cause problems.)

I'm just not sure white bread is healthy enough to feed all the time for birds. I know most people don't consider it healthy for people

It's got calories, and a little bit of protein.

It won't have enough of any vitamins or minerals, it won't have enough protein, and the protein it does have won't have the optimal mix of amino acids.

Whether it's reasonable to feed some white bread all the time would be determined by what else is being fed, and how it works in the overall diet.

Back
Top Bottom