Theoretical, Science Fiction Question

@3KillerBs - How did this turnout?

Sadly, I had just about gotten a good start when a hard drive crash wiped everything out -- on the morning of the day I was going to do a backup.

DH had bought the CD-Writables the evening before and my writing was going to be the very first thing I saved. :(

Sadly, I had just about gotten a good start when a hard drive crash wiped everything out -- on the morning of the day I was going to do a backup.

DH had bought the CD-Writables the evening before and my writing was going to be the very first thing I saved. :(
OMG, that is the absolute worst! I hate it when that happens. :(

If you were taking chickens to the stars as farm animals on new colony planets how many of a given breed would serve to make a sound foundation stock that can be bred indefinitely without serious genetic issues cropping up.

Also, if a disaster happened, what would be the absolute minimum necessary to save the breed?

I'm writing a SF story for National Novel Writing Month www.nanowrimo.org and its going to be a sort of Swiss Family Robinson in space thing with lots of farm life on a new planet stuff. I'm trying to figure out how many animals to put on the ship.
Well, supposedly hookbills at one point only had like 15 left in their breed.

I would say 100 (50-50 or 70-30 depending on how you prefer to breed) for foundation stock, since it's very, very possible that you will lose some due to health or environmental issues

Of course this was back before cheap, easily available storage.
Did you know you can upload and store a boat load of pictures to Google Photos for free?

It took me four years to fill up my free storage and I take hundreds of pics a day.

Back
Top Bottom