Therapy duck training!

Hi @Virus
Sorry to jump on such an old post, but I was wondering how it all panned out.
I have a running duck (3wk old) and I volunteer at an animal rescue that does animal therapy, so naturally wondered about training my lettuce (yes thats its name).
He was hatched by myself after some difficulties and it imprinted on me. Loves human attention, especially children, is being trained to a lead and has been introduced to a wide range on animals. All in the last week as he learnt how to escape and couldn't be left alone.
Firstly I think Lettuce is a fantastic name for a therapy duck, simple silly names tend to make kids happy especially. With training mostly to not nip at jewelry he did well after some time. A friend of mine had a grandfather living in a retirement home which let me bring him in, unofficially, as a sort of therapy animal a couple times. Unfortunately though Odette was lost 2 years ago when a tree branch broke the roof of his coop and what I believe raccoons got in. So we never got to get him fully registered and due to life situation I haven't been able to get another pet duck to even consider trying to train again. Despite the tragic end I did enjoy training him and taking him out around town people always lit up to see a duck riding around in a stroller. Getting to make people happy was wonderful and it was just part of the joy I was blessed with when I had Odette and I'd love if other people got to share that joy with their owns ducks and people all around.

Firstly I think Lettuce is a fantastic name for a therapy duck, simple silly names tend to make kids happy especially. With training mostly to not nip at jewelry he did well after some time. A friend of mine had a grandfather living in a retirement home which let me bring him in, unofficially, as a sort of therapy animal a couple times. Unfortunately though Odette was lost 2 years ago when a tree branch broke the roof of his coop and what I believe raccoons got in. So we never got to get him fully registered and due to life situation I haven't been able to get another pet duck to even consider trying to train again. Despite the tragic end I did enjoy training him and taking him out around town people always lit up to see a duck riding around in a stroller. Getting to make people happy was wonderful and it was just part of the joy I was blessed with when I had Odette and I'd love if other people got to share that joy with their owns ducks and people all around.
Thank you for getting back to me.
I am very sorru to hear about Odette.
Lettuce does love to play with my necklace, tattoos, moles, etc. He's gently until he/she gets over excited, so we are working on that.
This last week taking him/her to school has been almost surreal, your right about the joy it brings to others.

Back
Top Bottom