Therapy for wry neck?

How long does it typically take for vitamin e deficiency to resolve once proper feed and supplements are provided?

I, too, have a 9 week old pullet with it (long story). Just gave Rooster Booster orally and dosed the water, wondering if this always lingers so long?
It really depends on the cause and the chicken. Sometimes it is a result of injury or Mareks disease. It can be hereditary in some chicks. Sometimes it takes days or weeks, but some never get completely better. You may want to increase the vitamin E to 400 IU daily, and little selenium in a small amount of cooked egg, tuna, or sunflower seed daily. Just a little is necessary.

Here's the brace I made for my chick with wry neck
20191003_155051.jpg

It really depends on the cause and the chicken. Sometimes it is a result of injury or Mareks disease. It can be hereditary in some chicks. Sometimes it takes days or weeks, but some never get completely better. You may want to increase the vitamin E to 400 IU daily, and little selenium in a small amount of cooked egg, tuna, or sunflower seed daily. Just a little is necessary.
I had placed the chick with an acquaintance that grinds her own feed and adds a premix. Her husband has been doing the grinding and pretty sure he's not adding the soy or the vitamins. She contacted me today because the pullet is only walking backwards in circles, so I'm pretty confident this is nutritional.

Thanks for advising, I'll grab some E capsules tomorrow in case the poultry cell doesn't prove effective enough.

These treats right here, my chick looooves them, as soon as I put it in a bowl for her she pops her head up and goes to town
I got it because it has mostly veggies and thyme and oregano in it.
So I know she can lift her head because she does it to eat and when I sit on the floor she puts her head up and walks to me and checks out whenever I have

I think it almost just naturally goes that way now and that is why I want a little brace for her

20200104_150034.jpg

I have been nursing my chick back to health who has wry neck, giving the vitiman E and everything but is there some sort of therapy I can do to help her hold her head up better
Shes has had it for about a month and a half now and she is thriving
She does hold her head up now and then but not for long periods of time

Right now while I am working I have her wrapped up on my chest and tucked my shawl around my back so it keeps her snug against me This keeps forces her to not let her neck lean so far and keeps it upright
Any other exercises or massages I can do

That's not her on my shoulder, that Salem who is always very considered for her

View attachment 1993162
Hello, I was wondering what happened with your silkie that had wry neck? I also have a silkie with wry neck which they developed around 3-4weeks old and it’s been a month and a half now of having to feed them several times a day; and I use a small soft toothbrush to gently brush/preen her as she can’t do it herself. We had a day and a half where she held her head up and was able to feed and water herself, but it didn’t last and that was almost a month ago now. Did your silkie get better? If yes, how long did it take? Thanks!!

Hello, I was wondering what happened with your silkie that had wry neck? I also have a silkie with wry neck which they developed around 3-4weeks old and it’s been a month and a half now of having to feed them several times a day; and I use a small soft toothbrush to gently brush/preen her as she can’t do it herself. We had a day and a half where she held her head up and was able to feed and water herself, but it didn’t last and that was almost a month ago now. Did your silkie get better? If yes, how long did it take? Thanks!!
Hi! I’m on here wondering the same thing. I have a 6 week old silkie chick that has had wry neck for a month. Did yours ever recover? I’m just trying to figure out how long to keep trying. Did yours recover?

Back
Top Bottom