There are shows, and then there are shows...

Maybe its my reading, but, I don't recall "PURE" being anywhere in the subject line, let alone anywhere else.... but theres what was meant earlier about the true understanding of what ppl are talking about..... KNOWLEDGE!!! Thanks for your ....... comments....????
John

Quote:
I have to agree with Katy..... I wouldn't call your silkies show quality based on the pictures on your website. I know you didn't post about the BLRWs being show quality, but in my opinion the BLRWs are still a couple years away from being show quality. I haven't seen one yet I would put in a show to compete against the White and Silver Laced Wyandottes. I would not judge and put down other poultry show participants when you do the same thing. I think someone else mentioned in an earlier post about winning in a class with 3 birds versus winning in a class of 50……and what type of show you attend.
The only way to learn what to look for and what you have is to attend multiple shows and get some hands on experience showing birds. Heck, we have been breeding and showing for some years now and we still learn new things along the way. Other breeders are great to talk to…..some are more willing to help out the new people than others so you just have to get in there.

Quote:
So does that mean that you're selling mixed breeds as Buff Orpingtons? Your posts are terribly hard to read and make sense of. I think you are the one who needs to get some knowledge about what you're trying to sell as "show quality" birds.

BTW...NYREDS is a long time poultry judge, so if you don't believe my opinion of your birds you might want to listen to his opinion.

pop.gif

Quote:
No there's not but here & elsewhere you'll see a lot of "show quality" birds that have not been standardized.

I agree with you 100%
now if only i could keep my daughters silkies white instead of brown...... since this is a show thread.....

I wish we could convince our 4-H / County Fair Show to have a "pet" chicken category, into which the judge could re-categorize any bird that really did not fit the breed description. The kid does not lose their year's work and we don't have people wondering how "that" could possibly have won a blue...much less "Best of Breed"

I appreciate the kind judges who work with kids at shows, understanding that they are doing their best with what they have, often on very small budgets. A great judge once awarded the 1st place ribbon to my son's only-bird-in-class hatchery chicken, while kindly telling him about the birds flaws so he would understand that this really wasn't the best example of this breed that could be produced. This encouraged him to keep trying and the award did not inflate his head.

And we know better than to brag that we have "Show Winners" in our flock!

He does know how to raise some excellent broilers though!

Back
Top Bottom