There are some Chickens you just can't Eat!!!

SportTees

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Southern Middle Tennessee
I have a hen that has been attacked on three occasions by 3 different dogs- After you nurse one back that many times you just don't have the heart to Kill and Eat it! Instead you give it a name and call it a pet instead of dinner
lol.png

Does anyone else have a similar story of a pet chicken

Um, ya, we do. Our girl Bald E. Chicken for sure. She has had it really rough. We rescued her and 5 others, her head was bald and awful. Time goes by, and she is almost eaten by a raccoon which left her blind in one eye. We nursed her back to health in our bedroom for a few weeks and re-introduce her back to the flock. HA! The flock and roo pecked at her badly on several ocassions and we would have to seperate her each time so we just decided to make her a house chicken!

We had a chicken (Daughter named her "Bock") that was almost culled by her own siblings. In the middle of the day, she'd sit as high and far away from them as she could. We'd come to the pen, and she'd literally fly smack dab into the fence. Poor thing. She knew we were letting her out to protect her from those ol' biddies. They had her cornered and that gang mentality kicked in. We separated our little Bock after that...she was our favorite. But something was wrong with her. "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up" was her little life. Several times a day, we'd find her laying upside down with legs straight up. At first, we thought she had died, but if you turned her over...she resumed normal activities. "Somebody, go turn Bock over." Till one hot summer day, she turned over in the sun, and we were too late. We tried to save her...but now she's buried in the shade of the old oak tree.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I was out working in the yard with some concrete block and the girls were out free ranging. One came too close to a block as it slipped and fell and it broke her back. I quickly finished her off and planned on chicken dinner. This bird was about 2 years old and I have NEVER had such a tough bird. It was simply inedible. I don't know if it would have even worked for a chicken soup it was so nasty.

Fortunately for the rest of the flock, I now see no reason to harvest any other of the old birds.

That was a sweet story

hugs.gif

She was a sweet chickee. When I told my husband I was responding to this - he thought I was gonna talk about another chicken...haaaaaa....guess they all have their sweet moments.

so we just decided to make her a house chicken!

Ok, Shultz...look what you've started. Same daughter wants us to have a house chicken.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yep she lives in our house, people come over and ask "Um, do you know there's a chicken in your house?"
gig.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Oh I would just love to see the look on thier faces when they see a chicken in the house. What do you tell them when they ask if you know it is a chicken?
Oh really I thought it was a parrot!!

Back
Top Bottom