There are some things about chickens I don't tell my city friends

My Barred Plymouth Rock ate a whole frog and got sick for like three days. Lost her eggs and all. Wouldn't come out of the coop. I though I might lose her.

She got better. Eats voles, moles, mice, baby snakes.
The other day I found a frog and offered it to her. She shrieked. Shrieked like a girl seeing a cockroach. And ran away. Funniest thing ever.

Quote:
rofl!!!
lau.gif
They don't, do they??? I've chased mine all over trying to get them to drop sheep turds and they just keep hoofin' it and swallowing!

Great thread! I have a big Buff Orpington girl who is a hunting savage! I've seen her draw a bead on a mouse from twenty feet away - go after it - catch it - revel in her victory laps - and eat it. She's my land shark! Here she is capturing a delicious tobacco hornworm, which I saved for her (note her vacant, glazed, "I'm feeding," glare:
52531_dscn3092.jpg

Buffy don't care! She'd take on the Honey Badger any day!

Last edited:
7&8 :

Buffy don't care! She'd take on the Honey Badger any day!

I wonder how many people know what this means. I know I do and about pee'd myself when I read it. Nice quote.
celebrate.gif
:
lau.gif

Oh and to keep on topic I dont think most realize how much a chicken lurks for confrontation with pest. Best pest control on 2 legs I have ever seen.
thumbsup.gif

Yep........Velociraptors. One day the Missus was with me down at the Coop as I lifted up the waterer to refill it. It was setting on a hollow concrete block to keep it above the deep litter. The space under the waterer had a mouse nest with what seemed like a dozen younglings. They scattered everywhere in all directions as the chickens chased them down. The Missus freaked out because the mice were screaming little mouse screams loud enough for us to hear them as they were run down and shredded by the feathered Velociraptors. (I had heard mouse squeaks before, but had never heard mouse screams before---like little women screaming at the top of their lungs)

I tried to get a frog/toad from the chickens one am. It was a wasted effort on my part chasing them around trying to get them to drop it.Good exercise though!

Quote:
I wonder how many people know what this means. I know I do and about pee'd myself when I read it. Nice quote.
celebrate.gif
:
lau.gif
thumbsup.gif

Tee-hee...you got it! In my original post, I hot linked to the You-Tube Honey Badger video, but decided to edit; there are folks who might find it a bit much!
hide.gif
(I, however, think it's one of the funniest things out there, and watching it always reminds me of my BO hen - she don't care!
wink.png
)

Yinepu, if BYC had an "increase reputation" feature, I would rep you!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom