There are some things about chickens I don't tell my city friends

Quote:
Actually the two species look nothing alike, as babies nor as adults and a copperhead never gets to 4 feet, 2-3 feet at most.

A baby copperhead has the adult coloring but with the addition of the yellowish green band on the tip of the tail.
A baby black rat is spotted and gets blacker and blacker as it gets older.

Baby copperhead
bbcopperhead.jpg

Baby black rat
BBBlack_Ratsnake.jpg

Adult black rat that got into my mouse room and ate all my hamsters.
06-11-2011008.jpg

Video of an adult copperhead that got into my mouse room one night. I caught it and released it the next day.

I absolutely love snakes.

Great info 9Catz! Thanks! I had a snake expert look at the large black ones, and he determined they are rat snakes. I would have to say, all snakes look alike to me, but yes - I now believe the babies we see are rat snakes. That is what I want to believe.

Mostly, we see the really big snakes outdoors on their way in to the house. We rarely see them in the house, but do find skins from attic to basement. I am amazed how completely non-agrressive they are to us. We often circle around them, snapping pictures. When sighted, they just lay still until we move out of the way so they can continue into the house.

This house is circa 1760, and I have only rented it 2 years, so I figure they have a greater right to the home than do I. I won't live with mice, however, so I would be worried about upsetting the natural balance of the home if someone were to eliminate the snakes. Tis a big house, and we have all found our places.

I would, however, be delighted if the chickens could eat the babies in the yard. Those girls are SO quick! I have only seen them eat bugs so far. Mine don't eat the dandilions either - perhaps next Spring!

25 yo DS came into the house the other day, after visiting the chickens, looking rather disturbed. He'd accidentally knocked a lizard off its perch and it scuttled into the run . . . and lasted less than a breath as the flock went bezerk after it. DS was not aware of just how vicious his little fluffy friends are!

Quote:
Posts like this make me want a bunch of free rangers..LOL.. I live in FL and have a lizard phobia. Hhhmmm maybe just maybe I can talk hubby into some barnyard breeds not just my daughters show ones.

One of my girls found a small snake this afternoon while free ranging under supervision. After a short game of tug-o-war with the snake, the younger hen took possession of the poor snake, repeatedly beat it against the ground, and then swallowed it quickly.
ep.gif
I only wish I could have gotten a photo!

My DD is upset about the snake's demise. She loves all creatures, but especially reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom