There is something weird going on with my muscovy duck.

AnnaDuck22

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2017
Today I noticed that my female muscovy has somethin wrong with either her vagina or bottom. I picked her up and just managed to get a couple of photos of it but I can't find much online about it. She is acting normal as if nothing is wrong. I do have a male muscovy could she just be overmated?
Screenshot_20180828-172048.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180828-172032.png
    Screenshot_20180828-172032.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Looks like a small prolapse put her in the pool and let her wash. then lube that up and wait it may go in by itself if it doesn't then lube and try to push it back in. This can happen when laying an egg, the straining. Keep a close eye on it you don't want it to dry out this is part of her insides.

Looks like a small prolapse put her in the pool and let her wash. then lube that up and wait it may go in by itself if it doesn't then lube and try to push it back in. This can happen when laying an egg, the straining. Keep a close eye on it you don't want it to dry out this is part of her insides.
Ok thank you, what do I lube it with sorry I've never dealt with this before.

Just try the best you can if swollen it might take a while are you using prep H that is suppose to help with swelling also sugar is suppose to help maybe make a paste of sugar and water slather it on and wait keep her where she isn't being messed with by your drake and where she can't wash off what your using on her. Hopefully the sugar will shrink it so it will stay in on it's own.

@AnnaDuck22 I found this while looking for sugar and prolapse maybe this will help.

I took this from another member who was working with a prolapse also.

I know this is a last resort but here was someone who had been through this with their hen and a vet, at this point why not give it a try..
I would make a super concentrated sugar solution. As much sugar as you can dissolve in water. This will "pull" the inflammation out so to speak. When my vet did this to our hen the swelling shrunk immediately. You cover the prolapse with the solution. If you can reduce the swelling you might be able to get a better idea if there is an egg stuck. If there is.. and it wont come out she will develop Peritonitis which is an infection of the belly. this was from Kernel Cluck post 42 of this thread.

so sorry your having to go through this with Minnie, Praying for you both.
hugs.gif

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
Ducks{Muscovy's, Runners, Buffs}Geese{Embden, Toulouse}Chickens{many breeds}

Back
Top Bottom